Weíve successfully upgraded to SMF 2.0, as you have probably noticed. Below is some brief information about this update. As I hope everyone realizes, this is a big update and there are lots of changes and things Iíve probably missed out in the below long explanation.NEW 2.0 FEATURES YOU MAY ENJOY
- You can select boards that you wish to ignore, e.g. games.
- Warning system (mods only). Mods can warn users and enough warnings silence people, remove rights, and other advanced features.
- In forum profile field customization (no longer requires mod). This is also bad as explained below in the con section.
- Birthday wishes can now be sent out to e-mails automatically.
- A lot more PM features, including labels and rules.
- Polls can be made to allow guests to vote.
- New tweaks to the interface, including sizable text boxes, as well as movable windows. *Look for the double-arrows in your profile to move the profile window back to like it was in the earlier version of SMF.
- Additional spam and post quality control.
- Post moderation, if we wanted we could have sections section (e.g. FAQ) section that posts will not show until approved.Cons:
- Because the forum has its own customizable fields we no longer need to mod to add this field. Unfortunately this causes all users to have to re-enter their OS and other custom settings unless they're registering as a new user. In addition I'll have to be re-doing all the F@H, WP, SBCC, and chat icons. This is a big con in my eyes, but with this being a feature of SMF now I feel it's best that we do this now since all future SMF updates will more than likely include this feature.Added mods:
I've added the topic-solved mod onto the forums. This will allow users to click the solved button and have the message show a check mark to those issues that has been solved. I felt this mod has been requested for some time and was only fitting that it be added at this time.
I'm glad this is the only mod I added since I had some major issues with getting this converted over, since it was done with a different database. Some additional changes:
Iíve also made a lot of changes to the users profile shown in the left hand side of the topics. Iíve done away with the images and wrote a section that takes the percentage of how many posts have been made and creates a status bar. Also underneath this status bar Iíve made a smaller bar that shows of the progress of the current level youíre at. Iíve youíve reached the max this bar goes away and will only display mastermind.
If youíve had 50+ people whoíve thanked you Iíve also added a text link saying ďAccepted helperĒ, Iíve figured those of you whoíve been helping that have been thanked a lot should have it known more clearly.
Each of these above changes were done in the last day since Iíve had some time to play around with since all my other changes couldnít happen until Iíve converted the forum over to a live version. So although Iím fairly happy with them, these are things that can also be tweaked accordingly to the communityís desires.Conclusion:
In conclusion I think (hope) that this update is well received. Overall I think there are a lot of really great additions and Iím sure there is plenty that Iím not even aware of yet. Feel free to make your own comments, requests, threats, etc. about the update and we can create a new todo thread for me for me to handle once the dust clears.
Iím also still in the process of updating everything now that itís live. So bare with me for those of you whoíre logging in early in the morning.