Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Outlook - Help recovering corrupt PST file  (Read 12180 times)

gc11530

Topic Starter

Rookie

Microsoft Outlook - Help recovering corrupt PST file
    « on: August 22, 2012, 12:44:01 PM »
    Hello, I have an 8gb PST file that is corrupt and I'm unable to recover more than 20% of the emails on it.

The file was created in Outlook 2007. I copied it onto a Kingston 64GB flash drive, then reset my PC to factory settings (because it was very slow and had been infected by viruses over the years). After I reset my PC, I copied my files from the flash drive back onto my new configuration. Everything was fine except the PST file. When I try to open it, Outlook tells me it is corrupt or cannot be opened and suggests running scanpst.exe. When I do, it does recover some emails (about 20%) but these are old emails - nothing from the past 2 years.

I have tried lots of 3rd party utilities and none have been able to recover the most recent emails.

Any helpful ideas? Is it possible that the flash drive may have been corrupted when I formatted it from FAT32 to NTFS in order to accept files larger than 4gb? When I right click on the folder that contains the PST file on the flash drive, the properties say "read only". I uncheck and save but when I go back, I still see "read only". Is it possible that the corruption of the PST is related to this perhaps?

Any, any ideas? Would be so appreciated!
    Thank you
    AJ

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Microsoft Outlook - Help recovering corrupt PST file
    « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 01:28:46 PM »
    Good afternoon gc11530 and welcome to CH

I do have a couple of questions for you

What is your OS and bit version that you are trying to do this on. (i.e Windows 7 64 bit etc)

If you can't access the PST and you did a scanpst.exe did you try scanost.exe also

Your email set up is it a pop, Imap, exchange server etc?

When you backed up your PC before you did a fresh install did you save just save the files,  folders etc one by one or did you save your old profile also.

Also when you transferred the PST back and before you put them in the default directory did you check the permissions on it before hand or did you put the thumb drive in and told outlook to look in the thumb drive to get the pst's and let outlook copy them over?

*** This is Just in-case you don't know outlook 2003 would have a pst limit of 2 gig but would start to get grumpy once it gets over 1-1.5 gigs and outlook 2007 is not limited to the 2 gig limit but when the pst's get over that 2 gig outlook gets slow in all around functioning speed access / opening / closing etc.

Hope to hear from you soon, Mike

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

gc11530

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 01:49:45 PM »
      Hi Mike, thank you for responding to my post. Here are my answers:

What is your OS and bit version that you are trying to do this on. (i.e Windows 7 64 bit etc)
      My OS is Vista 64-bit. The version of Outlook I had before factory reset was 2007 32-bit. The version of Outlook I have now is 2010 32-bit.

If you can't access the PST and you did a scanpst.exe did you try scanost.exe also
      No, I haven't tried scanost.exe because I don't think I have Exchange on my PC. I use Outlook on my home PC so I don't think I have Exchange..but I'm not entirely sure.

Your email set up is it a pop, Imap, exchange server etc?
      It is set up as POP/SMTP

When you backed up your PC before you did a fresh install did you save just save the files,  folders etc one by one or did you save your old profile also.
      I saved specific files such as my data files (Word, Excel, images) and the Outlook.PST file (plus a small file named extend.dat). I also saved a large Archive.PST that's 11.5 GB (onto that same flash drive) but this one I'm able to open without issues.

Also when you transferred the PST back and before you put them in the default directory did you check the permissions on it before hand or did you put the thumb drive in and told outlook to look in the thumb drive to get the pst's and let outlook copy them over?
      I didn't check permissions.. don't know what permissions are. I dragged the Outlook.PST off the flash drive to the folder where Outlook archives and saves PST files (used to be in users/PC/local/Microsoft/Office before factory reset but my new Outlook version seems to save in Documents/Outlook). This resulted in error (file is corrupt, please run scanpst). Since then, I've tried every other possible way of opening the file.. 1) Outlook/File/Import 2) Outlook/Open 3)create a copy of the file on the desktop, then create new Outlook profile and point it to the desktop file 4) import or try to open off the flash drive. All of these give error messages.

*** This is Just in-case you don't know outlook 2003 would have a pst limit of 2 gig but would start to get grumpy once it gets over 1-1.5 gigs and outlook 2007 is not limited to the 2 gig limit but when the pst's get over that 2 gig outlook gets slow in all around functioning speed access / opening / closing etc.
      I have since found this out. I did spend about a day preparing for the transfer and trying to avoid any issues but none of the Microsoft documentation mentioned the likelihood of issues with larger PST files. Had I had any inkling,I would have archived, created smaller PST files, etc, etc

It's just so impossible to understand why I have all this data here but I can't open it.. how can Microsoft not have a tool to open data created in their own program?

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 02:35:37 PM »
      Good afternoon gc11530 and welcome back

Thank you for getting back to me with the answers

You were not sure that if you had a exchange on your PC, don't worry more than likely you don't most exchange servers are for companies and not home users pc.

How many times did you do the scanpst.exe some times it has to be done (scanning) 3 to 4 times until there is no error, cant hurt to try it.

Now just in-case when you tried changing the read permissions on the PST just follow this:

To resolve this issue, copy the .pst file from the thumb drive and save it to your hard drive. Then, remove the Read Only file property. To do this, right-click the file, click Properties, click to clear the Read Only check box, and then click OK. The Import process should now finish successfully then try importing the pst's instead of comping into the directory that you did if this doesn't work you can try the steps below.

If that doesn't work you can also do to take ownership of the .pst file? In the Window for changing permissions there's an Advanced button towards the bottom click on that. Then click on the Owner tab, then click on the Edit button, then double click on your account name in the "Change owner to" box. Then click OK to exit the dialogs.

Hopefully that will work if not try the steps below.

You can try these steps and maybe it will work. Maybe just maybe it will help (I know it sounds crazy but it may work)

Start Outlook 2010.
          Click the File tab in the Ribbon, and then click the Info tab on the menu.
          Click Accounts Settings, and then click Accounts Settings again.
          Click the Data Files tab, and then click Add.
          Under Save as file, select Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders File (*.pst).
          Accept the default name, and then click OK again. Outlook now creates a new .pst file that is based on the earlier .pst file and maintains the ANSI formatting for that .pst file.
          Click Close.
          At the bottom of the navigation pane, click Folder List. In the navigation pane, you now see the new .pst file.
          Drag the information from your existing Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010 folders to the new .pst file. You can also use the Import and Export Wizard on the File menu to move the information from your existing Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010 folders to the new .pst file.

How to Import and Export in Outlook 2010
              Click the File tab on the Ribbon, and then click the Options tab on the menu.
              Select Advanced, and then click the Export tab. The Import and Export Wizard opens.
          In the navigation pane, right-click the new .pst file, and then click Close " file_name ".

The above steps will just copy the PST's so don't worry it should not affect your original ones.

Hopefully one of the above steps will work, Mike

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

gc11530

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 03:30:26 PM »
        Mike,

How many times did you do the scanpst.exe some times it has to be done (scanning) 3 to 4 times until there is no error, cant hurt to try it.
        I tried it numerous times. I ran it once but it only recovered a portion of the emails. I then ran it repeatedly until it said 0 errors left. Still recovered just 1/5th of the emails. My original PST file is 8gb. My recovered file after running scanpst (until it says 0 errors) is 1.5 gb. That seems to indicate that about 6.5gb wasn't recovered even after scanpst says 0 errors.

remove the Read Only file property. To do this, right-click the file, click Properties, click to clear the Read Only check box, and then click OK.
        I did this and it didn't work. The strange thing is, after I uncheck the Read Only box, select Apply and then Save, when I go back it still says "Read Only". However, this is the case for every folder on my PC (and every folder on my flash drive) - I've checked a couple. They all say "Read Only" when I right click but I seem to have no problem modifying the files inside these folders.  Maybe this is a global setting that has to be modified for the entire system instead of for each individual folder? But it doesn't seem to have any effect on other folders.. I can open, save, modify files in all other folders that have "Read Only" attribute.

I did check the ownership - it says that Everyone has access and that my current profile is Owner.

Under Save as file, select Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders File (*.pst).
        Do you mean choose the corrupt file and Save as 97-2002 format? I tried that and still get the same message.

I also tried creating a new .pst file and choose the 97-2002 format. I do see the new .pst file in the Folder List, and then I try to import the corrupt file but get the same error message.

I don't necessarily need these emails in the Outlook format. Basically, I need to have access to the content because there was information there that I need to access. Do you think it might be possible to convert this PST file to another format like Word, or Excel, or CSV?

djstone_1

Rookie

• Expert in Microsoft
          • Daizy Support
        « Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »
        why to write all this story if reolution is simple , find repaire pst file in programe files , that takes some time but repaires the pst file .

Enjoy !! ;D
        Atl Kumar Verma

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
        « Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 08:12:01 PM »
        Good evening gc11530

OK I have some bad news I have found nothing else to help you, all PST tools are 50-250+ dollars. I know that you said you had bought some and tried them too with no luck. I have a feeling that the virus you had "(because it was very slow and had been infected by viruses over the years)" damaged the pst's.

I have been looking and reading for hours with no luck.  :'( :'(

If I do find some thing I will let you know, once again sorry. Mike

gc11530

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »
          Mike,

Have you found any PST repair program that looks promising? I've tried about 6-7 of them without getting more than 20% of my emails. If you find a good one, let me know - the data is valuable so I would be willing to pay. BTW, thanks for trying to help me... can't believe a stranger would spend so much time to help me.  :)

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
          « Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 12:07:53 PM »
          Good evening gc11530 and welcome back

You are very welcome for all help that you get on CH that is why we are here and we don't look at folks on here as strangers we are a community ;D

Didn't you already buy some software to try and fix the PST's or was the software just trial software. Just in case you don't know if you all ready have one to fix the PST's most of them will only give you like 5 email & or 20% recovery with out buying there product is this your case with what you already bought? which ones have you tried so I don't bother with them.

Thanks a bunch Mike   

gc11530

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 12:20:28 PM »
            These are the ones I've tried. From the information on the website, they are saying that the preview shows ALL the emails that will be recovered. The content of each email is not made available before purchase, but the individual emails and folders to be recovered are shown in the preview. Maybe this isn't true for all of them because I haven't read the instructions carefully:

OutlookFIX
            Kernel OUtlook PST Viewer
            Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair
            VirtualLab Client
            Pandora Recovery
            Recovery Toolbox for Outlook (I did get the paid version of this but it didn't result in additional emails recovered)
            Advanced Outlook Repair v 3.2

Also tried migrating the file repaired by pstscan into Gmail but got the same emails recovered by the above tools.

Also tried PST2GB, Microsoft's crop tool to create a smaller 2GB file from the larger file just in case the corruption had to do with the size of the file ... but it wouldn't work at all; gave me a line 52 error.

Also installed Windows Service Pack 2 as I had only SP 1 after the factory reset; didn't make a difference.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
            « Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 12:45:45 PM »
            Good afternoon gc11530

The "gave me a line 52 error" is a Bad file name or number. I think that it is possible the thumb drive may have corrupt the PST. I don't mean this is a mean way as I am not trying to be a wise guy  ;D where did you buy that thumb drive I know that there are cheap knock off's (Like of e-bay) and if this is the case I really don't think you will get any of it back.

The outlook tools you have listed I have used many of them and they normally work great and work magic.

Because i was going to suggest some of them. Because if ones like Kernel & Stellar & Recovery toolbox are great UT.

Maybe some one else on here may have an idea and they will pop in and give there 2 cents.

I will still be trying to figure something else out if at all possible, Mike       

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 11:48:31 PM »
            I don't see it mentioned, so if I missed it I apologize, but what are you using as an email provider? Your ISP or some online service such as Gmail or Hotmail?

gc11530

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 06:05:54 PM »
              Mike, I bought the flash drive from Staples for $70! and I called Kingston and gave them the serial number on it and they were able to verify it.

I get email through GoDaddy and they do save a copy of emails on the server but you have to check off that option and I didn't have it checked off.