Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP won't recognize USB External Drives, Plug and Play disabled?  (Read 4399 times)

jto916

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hello,

While trying to determine why windows xp would not recognize a new external hard drive (already have two working perfectly) I somehow disabled the Plug and Play function. I restarted and it told me there was a plug and play error, I fit F1 to skip and XP loaded up but only displaying in 4 bit which cannot be adjusted and any external hard drives cannot be detected (mouse and keyboard can). I tried a system restore to a time well before my f'up and that did not work. I tried running sfc/scannow and it wants me to use the boot CD which is long since lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows XP won't recognize USB External Drives, Plug and Play disabled?
    « Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 10:39:36 AM »
    Some plug and play usb devices are run dependent by startup services and or by your BIOS utility setup. Please check both if they are running or enabled. Any issues prior and what computer model/brand is being mentioned?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "