Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DirectX error D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE  (Read 54967 times)

Rene van Leeuwen

DirectX error D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE
« on: November 06, 2005, 11:43:33 AM »
Hi

We’ve bought the program IGI 2 from Codemasters. When we start the program the following error message appears:

Fatal error:

Couldn’t get device caps

DirectX error message: D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE
File: \project\igi2\B\2\PC\pc_direct3d.c line: 2634

We run Windows XP.

Can anybody tell me what to do? I’ve tried to reinstall the version directX 8.1 (as supplied with the game CD), tried downloading version 9 from microsoft , but this didn’t help either.

Thanks!

Rene

GX1_Man

Re: DirectX error D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 12:34:31 PM »
You need to download DirectX 9c. Install that then from the command prompt after reboot type in dxdiag and let us know what is displayed.

Rene van Leeuwen

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 01:23:02 PM »
Hi,
thanks for the advice. Download done and tried installing from command prompt. did not succeed becasue of Windows Logo-test.
So, did no reboot, but checked dxdiag. Following findings:
directx version 8.1 (4.09.00.0904)
- vga.dll has no signature
- nvapu.sys has no signature
- registerinfo: directplay8 TCP/IP, IPX, Modem, Serial Services Provider mssing or damaged

Any suggestions?

Thnx in advance

Rene

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 06:06:11 PM »
Rene:

The requested back buffer format is not supported, or hardware acceleration is not available for the specified formats.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/directx/graphics/reference/d3d/interfaces/idirect3d9/CheckDeviceType.asp

i.e., It's a problem with the program.

Best regards,
Doc