Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Banking Browsing  (Read 4251 times)

shubhenduv

Topic Starter

Starter
    • Experience: Expert
    Internet Banking Browsing
    « on: February 25, 2015, 06:36:31 PM »
    How can i more secure my net banking in my computer. I heard that there are many viruses which copies all your observation so how can i protect from them.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Internet Banking Browsing
    « Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 06:12:54 AM »
    The most secure would be to use a Read-Only OS (Live Distro ) like booting a computer up with Knoppix Linux and this way the computer is always booted clean, is Linux one of the most secure OS's out there, and when you reboot no changes are saved and the next boot is like clean from factory. Pros= You can use this on same computer that otherwise would boot Windows etc... Cons = No real cons other than there is no saving of any data locally after shutdown or reboot.

Next most secure method is to physically install Linux to a computer that is to be used for this and keep it patched. 99% of the attack methods out there are geared towards Microsoft Windows OS to carry out an exploit or infection. Pros= Its Linux one of the most secure os's out there and you can save data to this system for websites visited to etc  Cons = Unless a dual boot system you would need a separate computer one for Windows and other for Linux unless you go with removable drives to have boot choice before power up with removable HDD bay installed.

Last method least most secure from these listed but Microsoft Windows based for anyone who doesnt want to deal with Linux, have a computer only used for banking and nothing else. If turned on only when banking and not used for social network sites, e-mail etc you limit the means by which a Windows OS can be infected. By the way on this system you would also have an up to date good antivirus and possibly even an internet security suite running for additional protection beyond that of just the built in firewall. (* This could be accomplished on a single computer for both super secure and not so secure computing by installing a removable hard drive bay and depending on which drive you boot and run the system on, you are either super secure and careful or running on the drive that is for everything else. ) Pros = You dont have to work with Linux if you dont want to. Cons = Your still using Windows and so your putting yourself at a greater risk than that of Linux OS use and so your running a very small risk of problems, but this risk is greater than that of running a Linux OS IMO.

I have used all 3 methods of computing above to avoid problems. My most favorite is a Live Linux distro. And even better than Knoppix but not as full of bundled software I found out the the most recent Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 32-bit DVD boots to a Live Linux Mint 17.1 environment and the Firefox browser has full Adobe Flash support so it works for all sites I have tested it with from banking to youtube and when you shutdown or reboot the computer, any chance of a malware attack is wiped clean for that 1% that might be out there that might target Linux OS exploits which are very few.

Also Read-Only Live Linux Distro's are very useful when you need to navigate through a web site out there that is high risk for infection because scripts that are targeting Windows OS users wont function because there is a mismatch between the exploit that is attempted to infect etc and the OS your running. So for the shady part of the web a Live OS is a very well protected method of navigation through it if you ever needed to navigate through this dark alley of the internet where risk of being attacked or infected is very high with an OS other than Linux.

shubhenduv

Topic Starter

Starter
      « Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 06:42:46 PM »
      Thanks for your reply but is there not any easy way or any software which make it secure banking because i am asking this question in behalf of an old lady neighbour.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 07:15:41 PM »
      Best banking would be visiting the bank vs online, however if she must use online banking, I cant suggest anything more secure or equally secure to that of what I already shared....However I hear that Norton Internet Security is pretty good at keeping problems away, and if your running that you would also be running Norton Antivirus. Norton is good, but is a resource hog, so i dont run Norton anymore and only my corporate clients use Norton these days. Norton Internet Security also comes bundled with many systems so she might already have it, but it might be out of date if not updated with a subscription to Norton.

If she is the only one using her computer and no one else uses it, she is probably low risk for problems, however if others are using her computer and downloading stuff on it and going to questionable sites then she is higher risk for problems.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 12:07:43 AM »
      Here is my viewpoint. There are a growing number of people  also feel this way.
      Change you bank.  Visit the local branch. Talk to the people who work there.  You may find that lessor known backs have better service in  some things.  Talking directly with a teller is more secure than  using a computer. Avoid on-line banking unless you really have to have it.

Credit cards. For on-line purchases, use of a Credit Card might be a better choice.  A Credit card company can offer additional protection from on-line fraud.  Your local banker may have some additional ideas about how to protect yourself.

Last year Forbes magazine published on article on this topic.
      How To Avoid The Perils Of Online Banking
      The author notes how easy it is to make a mistake with on-line services.
      Ease of Making Mistakes
      As Nessa Feddis, a senior vice president at the American Bankers Association, notes, “It is very easy in this electronic world to get caught up and move quickly, hit the send button before we mean to. We all need to take time, pause — and make sure the transaction is accurate.”
      He went on to this this about criminal threats:
      In 2011, for example, more than 360,000 Citibank accounts were hacked accounting for more than $2.7 million in losses. (Fortunately, U.S. banking rules limit a consumer’s liability for fraud to $50 in these cases; many banks waive even that liability.)
      So, make sure your computer has the latest virus protection; don’t access your account from a public wi-fi system and change your passwords regularly.

Many banks offer an 800 number an account owner can use to verify recent activity in the  account. Even Grandma can use the telephone, so that can be a handy way for her  to make sure everything is good with the  bank.
      Another good link:
      http://www.webroot.com/us/en/business/resources/articles/corporate-security/how-to-prevent-hackers-and-online-banking-attacks
      Still, it is safer to keep your money in the bank rather in your house.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 10:04:36 AM »
      Best banking would be visiting the bank vs online, however if she must use online banking, I cant suggest anything more secure or equally secure to that of what I already shared....However I hear that Norton Internet Security is pretty good at keeping problems away, and if your running that you would also be running Norton Antivirus. Norton is good, but is a resource hog, so i dont run Norton anymore and only my corporate clients use Norton these days. Norton Internet Security also comes bundled with many systems so she might already have it, but it might be out of date if not updated with a subscription to Norton.
      I believe Norton resolved their heavy-resource usage issues years ago.  Norton Internet Security came on my HP laptop, purchased in March 2013, and it was not, in any way, a resource hog.  I used it during the 60 day trial period; I would have continued with it had I not switched to avast Free Antivirus, which I was already familiar with from previous usage.

If she is the only one using her computer and no one else uses it, she is probably low risk for problems, however if others are using her computer and downloading stuff on it and going to questionable sites then she is higher risk for problems.
      Actually, if she seems firmly oriented toward online banking, I'd suggest she log on to her account daily to monitor it.  She should also be made aware of the importance of using a strong password and keeping it secret. 

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 10:16:18 AM »
      She should also be aware that absolutely NO financial institution out there will ever correspond with her over her account via e-mail...
      Worst mistake everyone falls for.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "