Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 8.1 Update Fails during "Setting up Devices"  (Read 7654 times)

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Windows 8.1 Update Fails during "Setting up Devices"
« on: March 01, 2015, 09:53:46 PM »
Hey guys so I have been trying to update my custom built PC from Windows 8 to Windows  8.1. I been trying and failing for over 2 years now. I haven't tried updating my PC to Windows 8.1 for more than a year. The old thread I started is here.

I recently decided to give it a go again and the Windows 8.1 update downloads, installs, and gets up to the "Getting Devices Ready" part and fails when it reaches around 75-80% with a BSOD.

The hardware specs of my PC is located here.

My PC had originally Windows 7 but I upgraded it to Windows 8.

This time around these were the steps I followed to update to Windows 8.1.

• Used the Windows 8.1 Update Guide from Microsoft as my reference
  • Ran Windows Update to make sure I had the latest updates.
  • Ran PatchMyPC to update all my apps and install and Windows updates that I missed.
  • Ran DriverPackSolution to update all of my drivers.
  • Ran Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant and removed and incompatible programs or hardware
  • Ran both CCleaner and Defraggler to free up disc space
  • Disabled my Antivirus software
  • Booted Windows in "Clean Boot" mode
  • Disconnected all peripheral devices (except mouse, keyboard, and used only 1 of three monitors connected to PC).
  • Attempted to update to Windows 8.1

After doing all of this, installing the Windows 8.1 update still failed at the "Setting Up Devices" stage. I am at my wits end, should I just do a clean installation/reformat of my drive with Windows 8.1? I have the Windows 8.1 ISO disc available for free from my University's DreamSpark Partnership with Microsoft or will I run into the same issue? Any help is appreciated!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: Windows 8.1 Update Fails during "Setting up Devices"
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 10:56:56 PM »
Hard to say.
I have installed Windows 8.1 several times on three Dell computers I have. Bu I always did the most basic install with no extras.

Here is a method you may want to try.
Get another HDD, even an old old. Format it.
Next, put that spare HDD into your PC. Remove anything not needed for a very basic install.  install Windows 8.1 right off the DVD.
Do not use any third party tools. But allow Windows 8.1 to use  your Ethernet to get into the Internet. It will find what drivers it needs.

My guess is that a simple clean install will work. Please let me know.

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 12:21:53 PM »
My OS is currently Installed on my SSD and all my data and a majority of my programs are installed on my secondary HDD. I can do a "Clean Install" with Windows 8.1 Disc received from my university via the Microsoft DreamSpark Partnership, should I still put in a spare ssd/hhd and perform a clean windows 8.1 install or would it be okay if I just did it on my existing SSD over my current Windows 8 installation?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 12:35:57 PM »
I think you should keep your existing stuff separate. In the dpast I have lost data when trying to do a 'clean' install with my data disk in the computer.
IMO, is is more prudent to just remove what is not needed and do the install on a plain HDD. If that works, you have a reference point for finding what went wrong.

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 04:06:34 PM »
So an update, I did what Geek-9pm suggested. Over this weekend, MicroCenter had a really good sale on Crucial SSD's so I grab one, put it in my rig, took out the other SSD and HDD and ran a clean install of Windows 8.1 using an ISO via USB drive. 8.1 was able to install successfully, so I reformatted the new hard drive and left it blank. Re-inserted the old SSD with Windows 8 and the Data HDD back into my rig, and this time I ran an Upgrade via the ISO from the USB....and some how it still FAILED.....

Even though a majority of my programs are on my HDD and Windows 8 is located on my old SSD. I really don't want to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 on my old SSD, because it is my understanding that my programs will still need to reinstalled which will be a pain. Any suggestions? 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 04:38:23 PM »
At this point I am not able to help you.  :(

But you know that the  PC is basically compatible with Windows 8.1m but just does not work right with your SSD.
Hopefully, somebody else can tell you what the next step is.
Using Google, I did this:
cannot install 8.1 on SSD
It seems to be a problem for some users. Looking over those posts, it is not clear to me what the problem is. Somebody said that 8.1 has to initialize the drive in a different way. But it was mot documented, as far as I could see.

Anybody?

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 06:42:34 PM »
Thanks Geek-9pm, I appreciate all of the help that you have given. I'll try doing a bit more research and see if I can find anything regarding this and keep the thread updated if I do, if I can't I'll probably find some time over a weekend and just do a clean install of Win 8.1 on the new SSD.

I was thinking of trying one more solution, what do you think if I cloned my old SSD with Win 8 to my new SSD and then tried updating it? Same issue as before?

I also noticed that my Win 8 "System Reserved" partition is not located on the SSD, rather it is on my HDD for some reason...Do you think that could be the reason?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 08:14:05 PM »
The "System Reserved" partition is a special case. On windows 8.1 it now takes 350 GB of space, so it is not a candidate for SSD. On your current install it must have been much smaller. That just might be the problem.

A suggestion that I can not verify. You now have two SSDs to work with? OK, you can try a conservative three step process that will leave you at least a backup. See if you can move the "System Reserved" partition to the HDD. If that works, then attempt to clone the SSD and then try update on the clone.
They link below might be relevant. Or maybe not.  But it has some good links.
http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/14703-system-reserved-wrong-drive.html
That is the best  I can offer.  :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 08:36:23 PM »
Since it is technically an Update for Win 8 i'd highly suggest phoning MS support as Update Assistance is Free...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

halstead

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 04:17:19 AM »
    Patio is right! You could get the right answer through Microsoft itself.  Although I suspect was in your SSD. Perhaps you need higher gb.

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Yes
      • My Personal Site
    « Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 12:11:53 PM »
    Hey guys, quick update. I just ended up doing a clean install of Windows 8.1 on my new SSD, because I realized that I had most of in install files for my programs on my Data HDD. I then just reformated my old SSD and put CentOS Linux on it and now have dual booting machine.

I think the reason the Win 8.1 upgrade was failing might have to do something with my Asus PCE-AC66 wireless card that I have...I had some uses with the drivers for it when I did me clean install on my new SSD which I posted about here. But thank you to everyone that helped and assisted!!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 07:46:35 PM »
    Great to hear you solved the issue and are fixed up...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "