Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New XP Pro instal - keyboard no worky at boot, cant enter admin password, stuck!  (Read 12263 times)

MikeG.

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Hi all!

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 running XP Pro - just did a re-instal a few days ago after removing Boot.cidox with Kapersky TDDS Killer.
    Dell PS/2 keyboard & Dell USB mouse

I used the computer for several days with no problems, ran great!

I decided to put an Admin password on the computer (in 'Set Up') to keep my grown kids off it.

Big mistake I guess. During boot, and at the Admin logon the keyboard does not work.
    It also did not work in safe mode, but did work in Safe Mode with Networking earlier in the day.
    Edit: My keyboard works on other computers, tried that already. Tried both USB & PS/2 keyboards on the problem Dell.

I am stuck at Admin Login at boot up before Windows opens.
    Black & white screen with command prompt for Password. Key board wont type.
    I have a screen shot, but couldn't insert the image in this post.

Screen says: Keyboard Failure
    Enter Password

How can I proceed?
    Thanks Mike G.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]
    « Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:19:42 AM by MikeG. »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Find another keyboard.

MikeG.

Topic Starter

Rookie

Yes, I have several keyboards, USB & PS/2 none work on the dell machine at boot up, but all work on my newer HP computer.
      This seems to be a driver or settings issue, not the keyboard itself.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      And ypou tried other USB ports? Power off for each  attempt?
      You can contact Dell and explain the problem. They  have a method for forcing the BIOS to use the default values.
      BTW: A USB keyboard may fail when other USB devices are connected tot he motherboard. This happens when you forget which USB was for the keyboard. I may take several power on cycles of the BIOS to 'find' the keyboard.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      Can you get into the bios?

If not, pull the ac power cord from the wall and remove the battery from the motherboard. Press the power button a couple of times and let the unit sit for 10 or 15 minutes. Then replace the battery and reboot. Does either the ps2 or usb keyboard work now?

MikeG.

Topic Starter

Rookie

Thanks for the replies.

I will try the keyboards again with power cycle between each one - not sure I did that.
        I have to force shut down from the screen I'm at.

Until yesterday I could get into BIOS no problem, now that I have set an Admin password (not in user accounts, but in Set Up) I can't get past the screen asking for the Admin Password. On boot up the computer goes straight to that screen I attached to my post (Im not navigating there manually) asking for the password even when pressing F2 - F8 - F12 keys at boot up.

Allan

• Mastermind
        Okay. Let's see what happens after the bios resets.

MikeG.

Topic Starter

Rookie

Thankyou guys,

I will follow your sugestions, post back ASAP.

Again, thank you for your time!

DaveLembke

Sage
          I almost wonder if his cmos battery is weak... looking at the screenshot its complaining about keyboard but also bios level password questions to the user.

I'd check to make sure the battery is a strong 3 volts and not borderline. 2032 batteries are easy to get if you need to replace it. They are in electronic, photo, and battery sections of stores. Given the age of this computer it might be a tired battery. A tired borderline battery can cause all sorts of weird behavior like what you have.

MikeG.

Topic Starter

Rookie

Okay, removed the battery, waited 15 minutes, re-installed battery.
            Attached power cord to PS and the computer started up all by itself.
            Went  straight to the screen shot I have attached.

I have not tried power cycles with differing keyboards yet, but will right now.

Allan

• Mastermind
            You don't need to reset the bios more than once (what you're referring to as "power cycles"). The purpose of doing that was to reset the bios to default and you've successfully done so.

Can you get into the bios (does the system accept the keyboard input at boot)? As soon as the system boots start tapping the F2 (function)  key. If you can get into the bios, disable "quick boot" and enable "usb on boot" (the settings may not say exactly that, but look for something close).

If you cannot get into bios, try Dave's suggestion and replace the mobo battery.

MikeG.

Topic Starter

Rookie

I have now reset the BIOS once, replacing the older battery with a newer 3V battery.

No matter which F keys I press at boot, I get the same screen shot I attached to my above post.
              If, I reboot a second time with power button on front of desktop (leaving BIOS battery in of course) & pressing F2 ('setup' on my Dell) I get the screen I have attached to this post.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog

Inside of Dell 3000

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Experience: Beginner
              You need to use a PS/2 keyboard, as it seems Legacy USB is not enabled.

here's the thing though- from the sounds of it, previously you hot-plugged PS/2 and USB keyboards to try to find one that worked.

Try shutting the machine off, plug in a PS/2 keyboard, and then power up.

If you still get keyboard failure, and have a second PS/2 keyboard to try, power down, unplug the current one and plug in the new one.

if it still fails, it's possible that hot-plugging of PS/2 keyboards has destroyed the PS/2 controller or nearby circuitry.
              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

MikeG.

Topic Starter

Rookie

Back of PC has 4 LEDS - A B C D.
                D is amber, not green.