Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer noob needs help  (Read 3841 times)

Jsygrl

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer noob needs help
    « on: April 25, 2015, 07:38:12 AM »
    Hey there I am a complete computer noob, i don't know what hardware or software is or anything. Not even sure im posting in the right thread. Here is my problem, I bought this computer a few months ago off dino pc, it cost me a grand and said it had a stupid amount of space on it, hence why i bought it. I used to have a crappy old 300 quid laptop that allowed me to have well over 30 steam games downloaded, as well as World of Warcraft, League of Legends, and some other mmo's. Whilst i do have wow downloaded, i have like 3 small steam games downloaded and it tells me i cant download anymore because i have low disc space. When i click on my computer to see whats going on (I have windows 8, dunno if that makes a difference) it says Local disc(C:) has 0 bytes free of 111GB. Next to that is DVD drive (D:) Audio cd. and next to that is new volume (E:) which has 898GB free of 931GB. Why wont stuff download onto that 1  :'(. Need help please can you try to help me as though u were guiding a child, i dont understand computer mumbo jumbo. Thanks in advance for any help.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer noob needs help
    « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 07:55:04 AM »
    Not sure why you have your hard drive split to C and E unless you have a SSD as C: and E: is a 1TB drive.

What you can do is uninstall the games from C: then reinstall them to E:. This is done by during the installation of World of Warcraft and Steam Client changing the path from C:\ to E:\ so such as world of warcraft usually defaults to C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\ you can simply change it to be E:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\ or you can even shorten it to E:\wow\ like I do for my wow installations. Steam client is the same thing. If you read the info as your installing Steam Client it will show a path which can be altered to E:\Steam\ if you like.

Then all you have to do with steam is logon to your steam account and tell it which games to install and they will go to E:\
    to whatever folder path you want.

I have had to do this custom install of games and steam client for systems I have with a SSD and HDD combination where the SSD being much smaller than the HDD but best performing is the C: drive and the default install for 99.9% of the software out there is C: and you have to specify to tell it to install to the HDD at say letter E:\ if thats the drive location with D: as the optical drive etc.

A more complex way to do this but not have to redownload all the games would be to copy the games from the C: drive to the E: drive. Then install WoW and the Steam Client to E: drive. And then move the games from one location on the E: drive to the specified install location on the E: drive for the game clients and overwrite the partial client info that is at the wow location assuming wow is installed by first installing the battlenet launcher app. You can then launch wow or steam and wow will run without requiring a 27GB download etc and steam games should be detected in the library as installed.

Easiest method is to uninstall all games and clients that you want off of the C: drive and reinstall it all fresh to custom install location of E: drive.

Jsygrl

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Computer noob needs help
      « Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 08:24:07 AM »
      ok my bf seemed to understand what ur saying, thanks for ur help :)