Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Preparing automatic repair  (Read 8147 times)

Annie007

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Preparing automatic repair
    « on: May 02, 2015, 02:42:38 PM »
    Hoping someone could help. Last year I had my laptop wiped as it kept saying preparing automatic repair. Its worked fine for the last year with no problems. 2 days ago the same thing happened but I was able to get onto the blue screen and there was an option there to restore laptop to when it previously worked ok so I pressed ok and after a while the laptop came back to life. But last night the same thing happened again. Does anyone know how to get back to the blue screen as I have no idea how I did it. Im desperate to get all my word documents off. Thanks in advance

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Preparing automatic repair
    « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »
    Many experts here will help you if they can.
    Are you using the Windows 8 or the 8.1 version?
    Please provide more information to reduce wild guess. On guesses is your hard drive is failing. But there are other possibilities.
    What is the make and model of your laptop? Did you ever have it serviced by anyone except  yourself? Why did you wipe your drive earlier?  Are you making frequent  backups? Do you use the backup features of windows 8?

Besides third party tools, Windows 8 has some good tools.
    Built-in Backup Tools Windows 8.1
    While Windows 7 and Vista had the Backup and Restore applet, Windows 8 introduced File History as the default backup option. File History is a replacement for Previous Versions from Windows Vista and Windows 7. Unlike Windows 7, File History does allow backup to network shares for all versions of Windows 8 which is a good thing and makes the software far more useful. The downside is that scheduled System Backups have been removed from Windows 8 and 8.1. You can still manually create a system backup, and you can perform a system backup to a network share, but you can’t schedule this to be run. Also, File History only performs a backup of files in your libraries (Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and Desktop folders), as well as any files saved locally from OneDrive. Still, the most important information on your computer is your files  ...
    :)