Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hibernation,Standby and Sleep ---- again  (Read 4830 times)

Clayto2

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Hibernation,Standby and Sleep ---- again
    « on: May 04, 2015, 05:14:48 PM »
    I continue to be a bit confused about this topic.

1. The Shutdown Gadget (from 8 Gadgets) which I have on my desktop has a button called Standby, which I am told (based on the description I have given in the past) is actually not taking my Tablet into Standby / Sleep, but into Hibernation.  Yet it has another button called Hibernation ---- which unfortunately (like the Standby button also) has not worked for some time, despite re-installing, so I am unable to check now on what it does.  I am hoping to contact the publisher to see if I can get the buttons working again. (For the time being I use other ways of shutting down, usually from the menu displayed by right-clicking on the Start button). Hibernation does not appear in any other menu apart from the Gadget.

2. In Search I get results for Sleep which include links for the Tablet's settings for Sleep, as well as 'below the line' articles on Sleep; but if I search for Hibernation or Standby I get only 'below the line' articles on the terms, I do not get any links to actual settings on the Tablet for either Hibernation or Standby.

3. I adjusted the Power Settings when I first had the Tablet a few months ago.  I did not set it to Hibernate, only to Sleep, after a period of inactivity. I was not aware until recently that my Tablet had been going into Hibernation (rather than Sleep) when I clicked the Gadget Standby button.  I tend to just use either Sleep or Shutdown

Does any of this  this make sense?

Clayto

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Hibernation,Standby and Sleep ---- again
    « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:48:17 AM »
    Why did you install a Shutdown Gadget (from 8 Gadgets)?  If you open Control Panel, Power Options, you can configure your power options.  I see no need for a Shutdown Gadget (from 8 Gadgets). 

halstead

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Hibernation,Standby and Sleep ---- again
      « Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:28:16 PM »
      Hibernation is good when you want to shutdown the computer while the files are open. Since it will automatically save your file in hard drive then it will shutdown. On the other hand, sleep mode is only used when you pause your work in tablet for a while then get back. Some of the activity in your tablet are being off but, it will not automatically save whatever open file you have in your tablet. However, if your standby button in 8gadget don't work properly then you need to update your software. It might be outdated.