Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Updating NVIDIA graphics drivers causes freeze at welcome screen.  (Read 4606 times)

DangerousRaccoon

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Yes, DangerousRaccoon again. Back with more problems, I swear for every problem I fix I create 2 new ones.

After having to replace the motherboard, processor and ram on my pc (tried a replacement mobo and still no luck) my computer was working fine, albeit slower due to hardware downgrade, until my display driver stopped responding.

The colours went all bright and the screen froze, image was distorted, then crashed. When I booted again the problem remained, colours wrong and screen distorted as soon as the "boot options" page showed up. I reluctantly removed my GTX 480 video card and tried to run on my integrated graphics.

Integrated graphics I have:

NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i chipset

It booted ok but the resolution was far too low. In device manager the display adapter had an error sign. Using Windows to auto-update the driver just caused crashes on boot. So I uninstalled the old display drivers for my GTX 480 and downloaded the most recent driver that supports my integrated graphics from the website (released Jan. 2015).

After installing this, the computer boots fine, and the resolution is correct on the login screen. But after I enter my details the "Welcome" message appears and it freezes. Then the screen goes black for a couple seconds, then comes back on, still frozen, for another few seconds. This flashing repeats, and never progresses to the desktop.

I'm in safemode at the moment, which boots fine with networking (obviously). I've been at this for hours and it's 4:30am in Australia. Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully after I solve this I won't have to keep posting all these questions! If worst comes to worst I'm prepared to do a clean Windows install, but I'd prefer not to.

Thank you.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Updating NVIDIA graphics drivers causes freeze at welcome screen.
    « Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 04:06:40 PM »
    If it works properly in safemode but won't load in normal mode you have the incorrect vid drivers installed...
    They should come from the driver CD that shipped with the MBoard.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DangerousRaccoon

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 11:56:50 PM »
      The MBoard was given to me and kinda old. I don't have the CD. I downloaded the most recent NVIDIA driver that listed the 7 series as compatible. I'll check the motherboard website.

Edit: The GIGABYTE website only has the audio driver for Win7 64bit. But it does have all the VGA drivers etc for Vista 64bit. Should I just install them in compatibility mode for Vista?
      « Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 12:13:45 AM by DangerousRaccoon »

DangerousRaccoon

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 09:16:46 AM »
        Ok so I went to the mboard product page and downloaded the drivers, no support for win7 so I had to use the vista drivers. Installed them all in compatibility mode. Same problem occurred as when I let windows install the drivers. Crashed with a black screen either during startup or soon after login. I figured maybe there's nothing wrong with my video card since 3 motherboards with integrated graphics have had problems with the display. Plugged my gtx 480 back in after wiping all other previous NVIDIA drivers. Then I installed a much older graphics driver (2011) that still supports this video card.

So far it's working fine but it usually does work fine and then I'll get the "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" messages. Sometimes it'll be fine for 3 weeks, then crash 10 times in a day. I don't do anything different on the days it decides to act up. But this is the first time I've tried an older driver. So finger's crossed. If it starts crashing again, I'm doing a clean install.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 04:40:42 PM »
        no support for win7 so I had to use the vista drivers. Installed them all in compatibility mode.

And therein lies the issue...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 04:45:54 PM »
        Nvidia supplies nForce drivers as well.

64-bit, 32-bit.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.