Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is it Firefox? Video is stalling. Moving mouse, it comes alive?  (Read 7687 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Thanks for looking at my problem today.

I use Firefox ( currently on 38.0.5 ) I have gone through several upgrades on F/F from 29 onwards. All the same. The O/S is Vista home on a Dell Laptop about 7 yr old.

Over recent times the video has been stalling. Youtube video, same freezes... move the mouse & away we go.. Seems to all websites the same, FB, Twitter you name it, all the same. Easy media player performs quite well with no interuptions at all even when using other programs in the background.
    I've had a look at plugins for F/Fox but there is only a small list to try & disable. I am currently trying to disable one at a time to see if there is any change.

Can someone suggest how I might be able to cure this problem please?

Thank you ImnoGuru.
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Is it Firefox? Video is stalling. Moving mouse, it comes alive?
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 11:51:00 PM »
    Reduce background takes. Adjust your screen saver stuff. Defrag your Hard drive.

Use another Browser. Chrome does video better.

Your are still using XP? Adobe Flash is used on many sites to stream video. The current version of Flash badly  sucks on Windows XP.

You may want to try an older version of Flash.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 01:10:51 AM »
    Use another Browser. Chrome does video better.

Source please ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 01:22:01 AM »
    Source please ? ?
    Personal experience on Amazon Prime. Adobe Flash and Firefox on XP do not work well, but Chrome om XP can handle Flash OK.
    This kind of thing has happened before. But now it is a recent development. Possibly Adobe will fix it or already has.

The OP should try Chrome and also try the newest Adobe flash for Fire Fox.

Presently I can use Fire Fox 39 and Adore flash 18 on Windows XP and it works good now. A few days ago it did not. No explanation.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 02:34:01 AM »
      Thanks Geek-9pm for the reply... I forgot to add in my original post that, Apoint.dll Failed to load.. box comes up every time I restart or boot up. My apologies.
      My research on that told me it has something to do with Dell mousepad??? function.

I have tried chrome. ( varied opinion for me ).. IE doesnt work at all for some reason. Dont care anyway.

I noted in my post I have Vista home didnt I Geek-9pm ?  (Yes ) had to check.. yep vista.

I tried to wind back Firefox to an earlier release but lost most if not all of my bookmarks in the process. ( Not to worry though I have several backups around for when I iron out this problem finally. )

I  originally thought I had a virus from Facebook Geek-9pm & went through all the scans & procedures for cleaning out virus via our Computer virus & spyware removal section here by evilfantasy.

Thank you Mark.
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 10:18:48 AM »
      Sorry, I missed that detail.

You might consider moving up to a newer OS, like Windows 7. At one time there was some kind of option for Vista users to get Widows 7ot into a deal where you buy Vista and later MS sends out a Windows 7 right off the he press. I am using it now, just took a long time for all the updates. I had not used it fo awhile and did afresh install.

Anyway, Windows 7 and Firefox and Adobe behave well together. Therefore, based on my experience, the issue is  from using an older OS. But I could be wrong.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 07:03:07 PM »
        Thanks for the reply Geek-9pm.

What about Windows 10.. I have a legal copy ( this is Vista Home) I should be able to upgrade to 10.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 08:00:53 PM »
        Vista does not qualify for the free upgrade...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 08:04:25 PM »
        It was reported only 7 and 8 can update.
        However, this news flash just now.
        Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows Vista or Windows XP
        There is an upgrade path from Visa to windows 8.1 and from there you go to Windows 10.

But it is not a free lunch. You have to pay along the way. >:(
        You might get a real cheap license for Windows 7.
        This is a credible link:
        http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1890316/cheapest-place-windows.html
        Check your local electronic store around Black Friday. As for online - usual places like Newegg, Amazon etc.
        Beware of "screaming deals". I would be suspicious on anything under $80 for "regular" Home Premium version on strange sites.

Sorry, I can not offer more help.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
        Geek you can update to Win 10 from any OS...i was stating which are free and which are not...

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
          « Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 09:50:18 PM »
          Thanks for your replies my friends.
          I think we have diverged away from the question with the answers. The options presented dont actually address the problem.
          Now I dont want to put you offside, but a computer that used to work fine some months ago but now has difficulty in playing video from different sources, has generated responses of:
          Defrag the drive
          Use another browser
          Use an older version of flash
          Change the operating system
          Update to flash 18
          Upgrade to win 10.

I was more thinking that it might have had something to do with the mousepad.. Apoint.dll failing to load? As I mentioned moving the mouse makes the video responsive for a short time.

Thanks Geek-9pm for the reply... I forgot to add in my original post that, Apoint.dll Failed to load.. box comes up every time I restart or boot up. My apologies.
          My research on that told me it has something to do with Dell mousepad??? function.

Can anyone find out something more about Apoint.dll  & how I can cure that screen from opening at startup then please?

Thanks ImnoGuru.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
            « Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 04:52:28 PM »
            I am thinking of using one or more of the recommended driver update programs on offer (from just about every website on the net).

Does anyone have any recommendations of a good source for Windows driver updates please?

Thank you ImnoGuru.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 06:33:39 PM »
            Driver finder apps are garbage...stay away from them.
            Visit the Manuf. site of all components for best results...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 09:53:35 PM »
            Now I dont want to put you offside, but a computer that used to work fine some months ago but now has difficulty in playing video from different sources
            Your resoling is sound. I have two or three PCs at my disposal.  They work fine. But video sites like Netflix, Amazon and YouTube vary in their quality of service.

For one thing. Adobe flash is a wimpy video server. For some time Microsoft was offering Silver light to play streaming video over the Internet. It is was  better. But just now MS has pulled it, apparently.
            IMO, the changes made by the service companies have a lot to do with our computers becoming slow or weak on video feeds.

Proof? Well, companies that are very serious aboutvide3o streaming with either give you the best possible service or let you download for better viewing. Therefore, it was never my computer, it was the software and service  they used that made the difference.
            Every day there are commercial and other interests that provide reliable video feeds for their conferences and conventions all over the USA. The use the Internet or a VPN over the Internet to serve reliable video feeds. Of course, they never have a 100,000 people asking for video on demand. Rather, a venue where hundreds of attendees are viewing a single broadcast. The program  is later repeated for other times zones or schedules.
            What I am saying is the video on demand service has a hard time serving a large group that is not paying a lot of money.

But just now, for some reason, even my old XP system is working good on Amazon using Adobe. I think they changed something.

Windows 10 is no problem. No explanation. Who knows?

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
              « Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 08:57:06 PM »
              Thanks patio. I did what you suggested & Dell had a download that sort of fixed part of the problem. The download got my mousepad utilities back & scrolls well now & some of the issues with playing video are working a little better too. I did the update to flash 18... but alas the video still stalls... not as often but still there.
              I think Geek-9pm has it, they must have changed something in one of the updates over the past few months & thats where I got left behind.. Sometimes it works .. sometimes it doesnt.

Right now, I have got rid of the "cannot run L U N A C H E R . dll".. (I capped it to demonstrate that it is not launcher as a lot of people are calling it.)

The dell updates gave me back some video use & fixed the mousepad use, & I updated all that I could find.

Thanks for your help.. I guess this is in the best condition I can get it in for now.
              Geek-9pm you have windows 10? I heard there were security issues with it. Something about technicians trying to reset the defaults & taking 13 different screens to edit the security preferences?

Do you have any info on that at all?
              Thank you ImnoGuru.