Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Spotify says sorry after privacy policy anger  (Read 3128 times)

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Spotify says sorry after privacy policy anger
« on: August 22, 2015, 07:30:34 AM »
Spotify chief executive Daniel Ek has apologised following anger over the music streaming service's new data privacy policy.
Some users said they were leaving the music service over changes in its terms and conditions.
The new terms included access to pictures, contact phone numbers and sensor data stored on the user's smartphone.
Mr Ek apologised in a blogpost for the "confusion" the changes had created.
He promised an "update" to the new policy in order to clarify it but did not suggest that the terms themselves would be changed.
"We should have done a better job in communicating what these policies mean and how any information you choose to share will - and will not - be used," Mr Ek wrote.
He said Spotify would not access or import people's photos, contacts, sensor or GPS data without their permission.
Minecraft creator Markus Persson, aka Notch, had tweeted to his 2.4 million followers earlier that he was cancelling his account.
Spotify had said in response that the changes to its privacy policy would help it "tailor improved user experience".

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34016658
For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost,
But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Spotify says sorry after privacy policy anger
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 10:56:22 AM »
I had a laugh at this..... no we wont look at any info without permission... but yet ...
Spotify had said in response that the changes to its privacy policy would help it "tailor improved user experience".
which means that they might not be exactly looking at peoples info personally, but that there are programs that have logic that use the otherwise personal info which is just as bad as someone looking at it without permission.

I havent used spotify in a while. When I first saw an ad for it on facebook a while back I checked it out and it was a neat new music site. But I found that it was somewhat lacking, so I left it. It had some music that was better quality than that of what was on youtube in some cases, but the selections of music seemed very limited such as Amaranthe they only had most popular songs of theirs and not full albums to select the lesser known or heard songs. This might be to keep people from being able to acquire a full album through them for free. But I ended up discovering Amaranthe on spotify and then went out and bought their CD at a Comic Store that has a dwindling number of music selections since no record stores exist anymore and Walmart doesnt carry music like Amaranthe and if they did, the slightest controversal lyric would be altered by the censorship police. I guess I am glad I left spotify now that I read this. They were linked to my Facebook account and that has a whole bunch of false information anyways so that no one could steal my identity and run with factual information. I still get a laugh each year when my birthday comes around on Facebook and family members who should know better fall into the trap of wishing me a happy birthday on my wrong birthday and it clearly shows that they are clueless about my real birthday.  :P

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Spotify says sorry after privacy policy anger
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 11:28:56 AM »
BTW...Happy Birthday.

;D
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage