Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound not working unless i disable and the enable sound card  (Read 4891 times)

mike31080

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Sound not working unless i disable and the enable sound card
    « on: September 11, 2015, 12:15:42 PM »
    Dell OptiPlex 9020 All In One
    Windows 7 Professional

This computer is only a few months old, worked fine up till about a week ago.  Nothing new has been installed.  i went to the dell support page and typed in my service tag and updated sound driver and video drivers.  still no sound unless i disable the sound card and then enable it again.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Sound not working unless i disable and the enable sound card
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 12:25:12 PM »
    If only a few months old it may have a defect. Normally parts should last for years and not change in a few months.
    Still, to eliminate a possible software issue, use the system restore to go back to a earlier time. Try two days back, then four days and so on until you find the critical point where something was changed.
    IMO you must report this to Dell as soon as possible.

mike31080

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 12:26:48 PM »
      i already went back a month on system restore, no change.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 01:32:21 PM »
      Sounds like a hardware issue. Dell would probably suggest first to perform a system restoration to factory default. If this then failed to fix the issue, then I would contact Dell to exercise the warranty replacement of the system as for it sounds like a hardware issue possibly. I had a Foxconn motherboard that has its integrated sound start to act up like this and then one day the sound was gone for good. According to device manager it showed it as being ok, but it was dead. I ended up adding a USB Audio adapter for $12 because motherboard was no longer covered by warranty.