Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Impression of Microsoft Edge, the new Windows 10 browser  (Read 4739 times)

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Impression of Microsoft Edge, the new Windows 10 browser
« on: November 26, 2015, 09:22:33 PM »
I have noticed Edge being sluggish and more demanding of CPU resources than Firefox.  Today, for example, I had 5 or 6 tabs open in Edge, with it being the only browser I had open, and the computer I'm using had some noticeable sluggishness in browsing and when opening other apps such as WPS Writer and WPS Spreadsheets.  Granted, I had 2 tabs open for Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com) and it is a heavily tasking website.  But, with Edge closed and Firefox open with 25 tabs and then opening kbb.com and obtaining a price quote on a car, I did not experience the negative impact I noticed with Edge. 

I have drifted away from Firefox for periods of time but I have enjoyed using it with Windows 10.  I have the latest version of Firefox, which is 42.0 at this time.  During the months I've used it with Windows 10, it has consistently performed well with many tabs open and/or viewing complex web pages. One feature I like very much is being able to right click and get a popup panel with Forward and Back buttons for navigating pages. With Edge, moving the mouse pointer up to the upper left corner of the window to click the Back or Forward button is required.

safeTnest

• safeTnest
Re: Impression of Microsoft Edge, the new Windows 10 browser
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 11:09:55 AM »
soybean

Just came across your post so I thought I'd put Edge through its paces a bit.  As I post this I've got Netflix streaming on it and have had no problems in the past.  This may be a dumb question and forgive me for asking, have you rebooted your pc lately?

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 09:14:59 PM »
Yep, I always shutdown at night and start it the next day.  I don't use Netflix but I think you need to have multiple tabs open and displaying numerous websites to encounter the sluggishness I mentioned.  If I only have one website open in Edge, I think I might not notice it being any slower than other browsers. 

scomputer

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 11:43:34 AM »
    I am not a big fan of edge, on my basic work laptop (Asus 4gb ram, 1.9ghz) edge is noticeably slower with only one window compared to chrome.

beachguy

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 03:03:47 PM »
      I am not a fan of Edge.  Microsoft has to know that it just isn't reliable and they don't seem to be fixing it.  Edge opens for a brief amount of time and closes on its own.  In Windows 10 some apps won't open at all and others do the same as Edge.  They open briefly and then close on their own.  Hello Microsft, have you created another browser that js going to end up being just as disliked as Windows 8/8.1??   >:(