Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Skyrim Chrash  (Read 6086 times)

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    Skyrim Chrash
    « on: January 28, 2016, 06:20:53 PM »
    I can't seem too run Skyrim for some reason though, I have newer hardware and surpass the requirements for the game.  I just put in a Nvidia Geforce 950, which, plays the game with ultra video.  I tried even reinstalling it with still the same problem. 

Windows 7 86X, Nvidia Geforce 950, ASUS M5A97 PLUS AM3+ AMD 970/SB950, Kingston ValueRAM 8GB 240-Pin DDR3, AMD FX-4350 Vishera Quad-Core 4.2 GHz Socket AM3+
    « Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:19:46 PM by bob1286 »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Skyrim Chrash
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 09:15:20 AM »
    Are you running Windows 7 x86 or x64.... you state you have 8GB RAM. If your running x86 then its the 32 bit which is limited to only using 3GB of the 8GB. Maybe this is a typo.

I'd suggest running memtest86 on the system to make sure that your RAM is healthy. I have had some problems in the past with the kingston value ram. I had a 1GB stick that booted system fine and system ran fine until playing world of warcraft in which the game would crash hard with a memory dump. Sometimes I would get the memory crash event detected by the game client and other times I would get a BSOD kernel dump. I ran memtest86 and it showed that the stick had an issue with a memory address in the 724mb range, so with Windows XP at the time only using about 300MB of RAM and rest of it free, WoW was touching on dangerous memory address. Memtest86 showed that the address should have read back 0101010101010101 and instead it was reading back 010101110101110111. I create a RMA ticket and sent the stick back and they sent me a new stick within about a week and the replacement RAM worked with no troubles.

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 07:21:41 PM »
      Are you running Windows 7 x86 or x64.... you state you have 8GB RAM. If your running x86 then its the 32 bit which is limited to only using 3GB of the 8GB. Maybe this is a typo.

I'd suggest running memtest86 on the system to make sure that your RAM is healthy. I have had some problems in the past with the kingston value ram. I had a 1GB stick that booted system fine and system ran fine until playing world of warcraft in which the game would crash hard with a memory dump. Sometimes I would get the memory crash event detected by the game client and other times I would get a BSOD kernel dump. I ran memtest86 and it showed that the stick had an issue with a memory address in the 724mb range, so with Windows XP at the time only using about 300MB of RAM and rest of it free, WoW was touching on dangerous memory address. Memtest86 showed that the address should have read back 0101010101010101 and instead it was reading back 010101110101110111. I create a RMA ticket and sent the stick back and they sent me a new stick within about a week and the replacement RAM worked with no troubles.

I couldn't run that but, I ran memtest and came back with no known errors after letting it run.  That is what I have in the system and is running 86X. 

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 05:34:55 AM »
      Well your system is then being choked down to only 3GB RAM then, so it is probably making gaming poor. Hard drive light might show lots of activity with paging to make up for the lack of addressable memory by OS. It would be way better if you could get 64-bit OS installed to make full use of your 8GB vs only 3GB of 8GB wasting 5GB of memory that cant be addressed.

Additionally the Skyrim is this through Steam in which its launched through steam service or is this a legally purchased install ( digital download purchased copy or DVD install? If its one that has had a key crack and is illegal, then there is no way around stability issues with the game.

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 09:38:02 AM »
        I think that I have coppies of 64X Windows 7, won't that mean that I wouldn't be able too run or use alot of my hardware/programs then?  I have a hard copy but, when I launch it goes through Steam

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 10:43:38 AM »
        64 bit Windows 7 works with no problems that I am aware of for about 99% of software out there that is 32 bit. The only drawback to going to 64-bit Windows 7 would be if you require support for older 16-bit programs as for Windows 7 64-bit doesnt work with 16-bit programs.

I'd start fixing this problem by first upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit if available to you, then install clean games to system and this way your using your full systems capability with all 8GB of RAM. Be sure to backup any important data to a external drive or flash drive before wiping it clean and clean build for Windows 7 64-bit.

I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit about 5 years ago and I have some older games that are 16-bit that wont run on it, but I have a removable drive bay on my system and so i have choice to run it off of the 64-bit Windows 7 build drive or Windows XP 32-bit. The Windows XP SP3 works perfect for older 16 bit programs and games. If you didnt want to have removable hard drive you could also always have a dual boot system with 2 versions of Windows installed to same drive and at boot able to make choice between 32 and 64 bit OS with 64 bit set as default.

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 07:25:21 AM »
          I was finally, able too run mem86, it ran about 11 passes and came up with no error's. 

I am not running anything 16 bit, that I know of :/   

The only dual boot I have on here is 10 and 7

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 08:41:47 AM »
          The only dual boot I have on here is 10 and 7

Assuming 7 is where the crashing is, have you tried skyrim on 10 and does it behave on 10? Also is this 32 or 64 bit version of 10?

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 04:12:43 PM »
            Windows 10, is it own seperate OS

I can't seem too upgrade, it too the 64X OS.  Says that the 86X can't be upgraded, obtain a 32 bit version of the disk.

camerongray

Expert
              • Yes
              • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
            « Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 02:52:35 AM »
            Unfortunately you can't directly upgrade 32bit Windows to 64bit, you need to do a clean install.

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              « Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 09:55:23 AM »
              I was able too get a copy of Win 7 64x installed, other then a few drivers which, I had too find different versions of seems too work without any problems.  I think that it was not able too access, alot of the memory

DaveLembke

Sage
              « Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 10:01:52 AM »
              I think that it was not able too access, alot of the memory

Yes... that was my thoughts on the issue when i took notice to that detail of x86 and 8GB RAM... You were not making full use of your total RAM count until now and any computing you ran prior had 5GB wasted unable to be addressed. 3GB RAM is a little too tight for Skyrim and OS to be happy. I play Skyrim on a 64-bit system with Windows 7 64-bit and just about all my RAM of the 4GB is used up when playing. I'd say 4GB should be the bare minimum for Skyrim even though 2GB is the original minimum. Maybe on Windows XP 2GB might be an ok minimum for it, but Windows 7 runs best on 2GB or greater RAM alone with 32-bit Windows 7 2GB or more best and Windows 7 64 bit on 3GB or more for best performance.

http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/system-requirements