Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: sfc /scannow  (Read 6818 times)

rb2d2

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    sfc /scannow
    « on: February 22, 2016, 10:26:53 AM »
    I want to run sfc /scannow on my XP Pro 64 bit but am told to insert the Service Pack 2 CD-ROM before it will continue.  Just what kind of CD is this and where or how do I get one?   

I have the XP Pro 64 bit SP 2 .exe file in a folder on my HDD and have burned it to a CD but the scf utility tells me that is the wrong CD.

???

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: sfc /scannow
    « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 11:28:07 AM »
    There are a couple different forms of SP2. Microsoft mailed SP2 to registered corporate customers many years ago and I got 2 of them. My guess is that its looking for a target file on that CD and there is a naming mismatch of some kind. For SP2 there is the Microsoft update method as well as the System Admin Network install of SP2, as well as the SP2 CD that Microsoft mailed out to registered corporate customers who requested the CD.

It might be a matter of making sure the SP2 file is a specific file name and not a variant such as the Network System Admin SP2 download might be a different named EXE than the service pack 2 exe that came on the CD. Matching the file names might be the fix.

Lastly... if this is a bootleg of XP 64bit it could be broken in which it will never find SP2. If this is the case then you need to get a legal copy of XP 64bit off of ebay etc.

rb2d2

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 01:04:04 PM »
      It's a legit copy I have the original disk.  I built this computer from the ground up about 7 years ago and purchased a legit copy of XP Pro x64.  I could dig up the old CD and try that but it doesn't have SP 2 on it and this is specifically what the utility asks for.  I was wondering if I created and ISO disk using that copy of SP 2 I have on my HDD do you think SFC might except that?  I had no idea there were that many different copies of SP 2 for XP Pro x64.  I'll attach SS of the dialog boxes I get but there isn't much info there

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 11:23:43 AM »
      Under more information tab what does it show? Maybe it will give us a file name its looking for.

A slipstream of SP2 XP64 could be created, but this would cause you to clean build it or perform a repair installation instead of satisfying the DLLs

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 12:04:37 PM »
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rb2d2

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 04:07:56 PM »
        I've given up on running the sfc.  A friend of mine managed to get his to run after some registry hacking but sfc messed up his OS so he did a system restore to the day before.  I did reinstall SP 2 and it found two files that were older than the ones in SP 2 and updated them.  I think I will leave well enough alone.

Thanks guys for trying to help, appreciate it.

:)