Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Registry Settings for PDF Default Program for IE  (Read 4496 times)

websas

Topic Starter

• Experience: Expert
    Registry Settings for PDF Default Program for IE
    « on: March 04, 2016, 02:26:14 AM »
    Hello,

I have a problem setting the default program for PDFs via registry for IE11.

With the key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\UserChoice

I am able to set the default program for PDFs on the Desktop / Windows Explorer - unfortunatly this doesnt effect the IE Settings.
    In IE11 always the latest installed / updated PDF program is set as default program to display PDFs.

I would like to be able to set / switch between Adobe Acrobat Reader DC und dem PDFXChange Editor as default program for IE11 via registry settings for all of the computers in our domain.

OS is Windows 7 Pro 64bit and the latest version of IE as well as both PDF programs.

Does anyone have an idea?

Additional information:
    Wenn I use the option "Open with..." to set the PDF default program, this doesnt effect the IE setting  - but when using the builtin function in both PDF programs to set as default, then it does work for the IE as well.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Best,
    Sascha

websas

Topic Starter

• Experience: Expert
      Re: Registry Settings for PDF Default Program for IE
      « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 08:32:30 AM »
      I was able to solve it now by myself:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/pdf

In Detail:
      Structure: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
      Keypath: Software\Classes\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/pdf
      Name: CLSID
      Valuetyp:    REG_SZ
      Value for Adobe AR DC: {CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000}
      Value for PDFXChange Editor: {53719C00-353D-4FCF-A8AB-1B1027B60A49}

Best,
      Sascha