Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: black screen at startup  (Read 5393 times)

MistressArianna

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    black screen at startup
    « on: March 14, 2016, 10:49:02 AM »
    so i know its my monitor for most games i can only run them at 1280 x 960 windowed fullscreen if i try to run the games at anything else other than those settings it will stay black until i press the windows button on my keyboard then it will minimize and i click to bring it back up and it will flicker between black and the picture i can still click buttons and that is how i usually setup the graphics so that it will run properly.
    i dont know if its a graphics card issue or what but i know my pc can support this game with no problem here are my specs.

2 AMD 6870 video cards

Dedicated Memory 2.0 GB

Total Memory 3.1 GB

Pixel Shader Version 5.0

Vertex Shader Version 5.0

Hardware T & L Yes

Memory 3.0 GB

8 Gb RAM

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor quad core quad core 3.4 Ghz

Sound Device 2 Creative SB X-Fi

Sound Device 3 AMD High Definition Audio Device

1 Tb Hard Drive

Cooler Master 750w power supply

what can i do to get this to stop doing this on just about every online game i play? and yes my graphics cards are up to date

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: black screen at startup
    « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 12:58:05 PM »
    Does it perform better at lower than 1280 x 960?   I have seen where some monitors will act this way when set to the max and they struggle, going down 1 resolution size can sometimes fix this.

I have an old Dell monitor that is acting like this and going back 1 resolution setting fixed it. When setting it to the max that it will display before black screen no sync it will do just like your problem. But going lower 1 more from the max that it will display at fixed the issue of having to use the windows key and flicker between picture and black screen.

MistressArianna

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 06:28:19 PM »
      it does tend to run a little smoother sometimes but really depends on the game but yes it does seem to be a resolution problem maybe my monitor is just going bad which i have already suspected but i can run games like skyrim and really any downloaded or disc game but when it comes to mmo's thats when i seem to only be having the issue

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 06:46:45 PM »
      Thinking your in same boat as me with having to get a new display. I lowered mine to 1152 x 864 it was 1280 x 960 prior and because its not a wide screen monitor the settings in between 1280 x 960 and 1152 x 864 caused pixel stretching since they are for wide screen ratio.

You might find that it will behave better at 1152 x 864 like my old Dell flat screen.

MistressArianna

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 12:35:52 PM »
        so the guy who built my computer came over to fix the problem with my problem yes my monitor is going bad but that wasnt my issue as it turns out i was playing some older games and with me having 2 graphics cards i had them set up for crossfire so they both ran well some of the games i was playing dont support crossfire because they are older games and that was causing my issues i disabled it and instant fix just have to enable when i play newer games that can support crossfire