Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer keeps powering off instantly - is it screwed?  (Read 3579 times)

Tomasson

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Computer keeps powering off instantly - is it screwed?
    « on: April 14, 2016, 02:44:01 PM »
    Hi, any advice at all much appreciated. PC specs: Novatech FX-8 8320, 120gb SSD + 2TB hard disk, 16gb ram, windows 7 64 bit, 2.5 years old.

Had the odd random power down in the past, but over the last 2 days my PC keeps powering off instantly with no warning, and when I turn it back on it doesn't last very long until it powers off again (about 30 mins tops in safe mode).

Things tried already:

Ran a health report, said 'avg. disk queue length 3 - disk may be at maximum capacity due to throughput and disk seeks', but looked again after a temperamental system restore and wasn't there, yet still had the problem. It also said it didn't see an antivirus software installed, but I have Avast free version installed, and ran a virus check with this which didn't come back with any viruses (said vlc and adobe needed updating, and there were some performance issues but wouldn't resolve on free version).

I tried changing the power settings to balanced, disabled the antivirus temporarily, and dusted the inside the PC with that special computer spray stuff, but none of that helped.

I tried a system restore in startup repair which didn't work, and tried another one from a restore point a week ago, but the PC powered down before it got anywhere. I also tried one in safe mode and got the same result, and sometimes the PC powers down right after selecting startup repair when it's booting up.

I tried a disk cleanup on the SSD, but as soon as it's starting the PC powers down.

My friend thinks I should reformat the PC, but it came with windows 7 installed on the machine and I don't have an installation disk for it, so don't know what I should do there either.

If anyone has any advice with this it'd be really appreciated, I don't really have a clue now.

Cheers! 

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer keeps powering off instantly - is it screwed?
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 03:08:14 PM »
    Reformatting won't help. You might want to try a new power supply

jp1987

• Total PC Solution
    « Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 10:22:56 AM »
    You should check the BIOS settings, there are two BIOS settings that need to change, Deep sleep and block sleep. Go to BIOS Disable the Deep sleep and Enable the block sleep. Update the BIOS and keep your system in under observation, if issue persists then check the system with any Known Good SMPS. If still the same issue with the Known Good SMPS then need to replace the Motherboard.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 01:28:33 PM »
    How did you know which BIOS he has ? ?...just curios.
    Not all BIOS's have those options...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Tomasson

Topic Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 02:59:45 PM »
      Cheers, but turned out to be a hidden layer of fluff between the processor fan and heat sink, thanks anyway!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 03:04:12 PM »
      Wow...never heard that one...glad yer fixed up...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "