Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: End of Code - Potential Future of Computer Programming - Wired Magazine  (Read 5570 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
I found this article interesting reading my Wired Magazine. Its available online, so I am sharing it here:

http://www.wired.com/2016/05/the-end-of-code/

This was a big concern in the read for future programmers..

But a world run by neurally networked deep-learning machines requires a different workforce. Analysts have already started worrying about the impact of AI on the job market, as machines render old skills irrelevant. Programmers might soon get a taste of what that feels like themselves.

Lots of concerns with some of this read... Future employment for programmers, the vast amount of data collected to teach the program dynamically unable to be easily checked out to figure out WHY it reacted a specific way because its just a huge mathematical mess of data with rules that are so dynamic that it appears that after base rules are created the program itself can then create its own dynamic rule sets from what is learned and turn into any number of combinations.

Programming would be a group of teachers teaching it, and failed branches from the original source killed off and those successful duplicated and built further upon etc in an attempt to make something even more complex and able to outsmart markets etc. They already have AI algorithm instructions in control of trading etc, some are there to avoid a runaway condition and put a freeze on things and others are there to skim money from here or there in automated trading behaviors to tap and sap the stock markets in a likely legal but cheating the system way. Just like in multiplayer game cheats, there is a person or persons who gain using the cheats and then there are others who the cheats affect in which they are taking advantage of. Fortunately in many video games there are rules against such automated cheating behavior that keep people out of messing with the balance in the game, but in the real global economy these cheaters are leaches skimming the system, and other systems are in place to avoid a mathematical runaway that would crash it.

Some years ago there was a runaway condition where algorithms were not able to counteract an imbalance and it was like a boat with people on it leaning and it telling people to move quickly to certain points of the boat to try to keep it from capsizing, meanwhile the waves affecting the boat and people running around as directed to try to keep the boat upright got to a point where decisions made matched the wave in which the person moving to a specific location on the boat didnt help but made matters worse because the waves hitting the ship were not of a specific time interval to know how to cancel out the negative effects. Wallstreets response to this issue was to put a freeze on the market for a short period of time until they could right side the boat in this case the Titanic of the greater proportion of the world economy. There are pros and cons that come along with handing the controls over to AI and automated systems. Some systems should remain in the control of humans without the humans using systems as cheats, skimmers, or countermeasures.   ::)

Skynet does come to mind as also stated in this, but im not paranoid yet about that. As long as humans are in control of pulling power plug we still have the upper hand... However! some time ago a Missile Defense system accidentally mistaken a meteorite falling as a warhead and it triggered an automated response that could have started a nuclear war. Fortunately humans were able to stop it from reacting and launching nukes! Tried to find the example to link to this automated response i heard it on a nova or history channel program of a meteor triggering the system. But here is other info on ways they try to keep the defense system from a false positive to a warhead created by a meteor: http://www.space.com/20310-russian-meteor-missile-attack-military.html

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
I recall reading the the secret to programming is not about knowing how to make something work. Instead, it is about know how it is wrong or why it will fail.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
That article is written by an idiot. They can't even decide what to write about. It's a load of idiotic gibberish filler obviously put together by somebody with the writing capacity of a small child.

In traditional programming, an engineer writes explicit, step-by-step instructions for the computer to follow. With machine learning, programmers don’t encode computers with instructions. They train them.
No, you turkey brained, cerebrum lacking primate, You still have to program it. You don't just will a neural network into existence, you intellectually deficient hamster.

If you want to teach a neural network to recognize a cat, for instance, you don’t tell it to look for whiskers, ears, fur, and eyes.
And of course the Neural network appears because when a mommy neural network and a daddy neural network love each other very much... Oh wait no, somebody has to program it.

Facebook uses it to determine which stories show up in your News Feed
Which was programmed. They wrote code to accept INPUT DATA and that input data is evaluated to come to decisions about what to display. A programmer didn't sit at their computer with Cortana and Siri and go "I WANTS THE SITE TO DUH SHOW PAGES BASED ON BROWSING HISTORY"
"I'M Sorry, I didn't catch that"
"DAM U CORTANA ME ANGRY YOU MAKE IT SHOW PAGES, USE BROWSING HISTORY, OR ME SMASH U"

Google Photos uses it to identify faces.
"OK Google, now add the capacity to identify faces" probably isn't how that feature was added, you puddle of unwelcome avian diarrhea.

Machine learning runs Microsoft’s Skype Translator, which converts speech to different languages in real time.
Spoken like somebody who has never used it, apparently. What it is capable of is pretty cool but it's not exactly going to break down language barriers. Or, as it might describe them, talking walls.

Even Google’s search engine—for so many years a towering edifice of human-written rules—has begun to rely on these deep neural networks.

Did this article have any sort of technical review? Or was the review panel full of people who struggle to understand electrical resistance when configuring their gramophone? The way they continue to write about it apparently neural networks just appear and apparently they don't need to have any changes made to introduce or remove bias. Nope, just go "You know what, I want a neural network" and then poof! There you go. Just train it and you don't have to program. You have to create the neural network. That's programming. You have to maintain it. Oh, look, more programming.

When your algorithm relies on the absorption of loads of information through learning suddenly malice is far easier. We saw how successful Microsoft's AI chatbot was when everybody discussed Hitler and Nazism with it.

In closing, once again, the article is poorly researched and written by somebody who has the journalism skill of perhaps a lemur or other small South American monkey. I'm surprised these idiots aren't pushing FORTH, given that it made the same promises in the 1980's.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Kudos...well stated.

However i'm upset you offended lemurs the world over...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
I don't think I can put it better than BC did but I also agree that this article is nonsense.  I'm not remotely concerned.

It feels like the author just found out what a neural network is then tried to spin and squish the idea as much as possible to try and fit it into an article that would have a catchy headline.  He is correct in the fact that neural networks can be trained to recognise objects, but I have no idea how he expects them to go from that to writing code.  Like, does he expect you to show a neural network a lot of code then it suddenly learns how code works to the level you can go "I need a program that does this very complex thing" and it somehow generates the code perfectly?  And then of course, as BC says, he is totally ignoring the fact that neural networks are, in fact, code.

The whole thing feels like it's written by some arty hipster who doesn't actually understand any of what they are writing about - For example "Code is logical. Code is hackable. Code is destiny. These are the central tenets (and self-fulfilling prophecies) of life in the digital age." - Complete arty nonsense.  Also along with gems such as "Our machines are starting to speak a different language now, one that even the best coders can’t fully understand." - Yes, too complex for a human to understand, it's not like humans made them or anything... Oh yeah, I completely forgot about how computers evolve themselves without human involvement...

I wonder how many stages of approval this got through before it was published, and why it wasn't stopped.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
"Code is logical. Code is hackable. Code is destiny. These are the central tenets (and self-fulfilling prophecies) of life in the digital age."

Yeah I have to admit I skimmed over many paragraphs before I got to anything that seemed remotely related to the entire concept being discussed, I missed that gem. I'm convinced that literally nothing substantive is even written until the last few paragraphs. It babbles on about Descartes and some how tries to draw parallels between attempts to understand the human brain and the development of computers. But it's basically contet-free statements like "The sophisticated AI toasters of tomorrow may be pushing us down!"

Thing is, there is a kernel of truth in that developers/programmers do need to worry about being replaced, not by a computer, but by the next "generation" of programmers. Somebody who refuses to move forward with new development technologies will find that they may be slowly replaced or phased out.

It's actually kind of funny to read articles like this or the ones where surveyed developers are afraid of being replaced by AI. Have they looked around? Some of the most advanced Artificial Intelligence are about on par with a human 4-year old, only beating one when it comes to vocabulary. This is the thing that is threatening your Job? Do you lock the office door during "bring your kid to work day" for fear that you might be replaced as well?

In fact, the most sophisticated AIs are about equal to a Lemur. And yet surveys don't ask "Are you afraid that Lemurs will replace you?".

The reason people find it scary is because of how AI is portrayed in TV and Movies. The fact that "Skynet" is referenced in every single article, for example, is a pretty obvious indicator. You may as well be afraid that your IT security job would be taken by a Klingon, or that you'll have to wear a tacky tight-fitting uniform.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.