Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer software/program/website for business in fundraising  (Read 2778 times)

notsoperfect187

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    ok so basically wanting to start up a fundraising company and i am in need of software/website/program to do the following. Anyone who is willing to purchase from the kids doing the fundraiser would be able to log in pick the specific child they are ordering from and choose what they want and pay. i mean i can take a computer apart and put it back together but programming and software were never my forte. so please any information or push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer software/program/website for business in fundraising
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 06:29:37 PM »
    This sounds like a pretty niche project, I highly doubt that you'll be able to get a piece of premade software to do what you need.  At this point I'd be looking at developers to get something custom built from scratch.

You certainly could learn how to do it yourself but don't expect to be able to build something big like this very quickly, it takes a lot of time and practice before you'll be proficient enough to build a complete system like this.  To build something like this at the very least you would need to learn HTML, Javascript and CSS to do all the frontend stuff and then some sort of server side language such as Python, PHP, Ruby.etc in order to handle all the actual application logic.  You would then need some sort of database to store everything.  That's the thing with web development, while it's a very useful thing to learn, you end up having to learn a bunch of different technologies before you can build anything particularly useful.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 09:00:57 AM »
    This project is pretty involved and will be costly. Would you be accepting online orders with credit cards as well in which you also have to deal with PCI Compliance etc? More info here in case your not aware of PCI Compliance : https://www.pcicomplianceguide.org/pci-faqs-2/

To me this looks like a costly very high risk project with limited returns since your unable to code it all yourself and there are already processes in place for fund raisers that work and are solid.

If this was on shark tank the tv show and I was a billionaire shark, I'd pass it up and invest elsewhere. Please dont take that the wrong way, but this looks to be a very risky investment with high probability for failure. If you chose to continue with this I wish you the best of luck and success. But just sharing my opinion on this.

Less risky way about going with this would be if you were able to code this up and sell off the entire project to someone else who wanted to assume the risk in its implementation as well as continued cost of operation and security.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 09:07:37 AM »
    What DaveLembke says is t true.
    PCI compliance is crucial.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_Card_Industry_Data_Security_Standard
    The PCI Standard is mandated by the card brands and administered by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council. The standard was created to increase controls around cardholder data to reduce credit card fraud. Validation of compliance is performed annually, either by an external Qualified Security Assessor (QSA) that creates a Report on Compliance (ROC)