Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't log in because forgot password for Windows 7  (Read 10457 times)

johnnyr860

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Can't log in because forgot password for Windows 7
    « on: June 01, 2016, 10:03:02 AM »
    This is my sisters laptop. My mom has am account on there. The problem is my mom forgot the password to her account so she can't log in to change the settings. My sisters account doesn't have a password but it's useless because my sister has a "restricted" account so in order to make any changes to the computer you need an administrator account which my mom has but forgot the password to. You can't unmute the sound let alone change the desktop wallpaper without it asking you for a password. My mom tried everything and eventually gave up trying to log in. I tried to reinstall the operating system but the CD/ DVD drive doesn't work. It makes noise when a CD is inserted but nothing loads not even a music CD will load up. Any ideas on how to get that password or how to reinstall the OS? My mom says to just reinstall the OS even if she loses everything but I can't with the CD drive not working. I tried the ISO to USB but that doesn't work either. Help is appreciated.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Can't log in because forgot password for Windows 7
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 01:51:11 PM »
    We still don't know if it's a BIOS password...or a Win password...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 02:52:48 PM »
    It is a Windows password.
    My sisters account doesn't have a password but it's useless
    It is the parent that forgot here password. If it was BIOS password, nobody would log in. From the description the child has limited privileges. Smart Mom.
    I would like to help, but it might be the child wanting to get into Mom's account.
    Shall I call her Mom and be a tattle-tail?  :D

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 03:12:44 PM »
    i deleted your first post Geek. Aside from anything else, it was completely illegible.

And there is nothing illegal about explaining how to reset a Windows password - if you Google it for Windows 7 you will get approximately 4 million (legal) results: https://www.google.com/search?q=forgot+windows+10+password&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=forgot+windows+7+password

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 04:04:35 PM »
    OK. Fine by me.  :)

johnnyr860

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 05:31:39 PM »
      Regardless of password or not I have been able to successfully install windows 7 on my old laptop many times. So does anyone have any idea why the CD drive on my sisters laptop makes noise when a CD is inserted but nothing pops up? I even searched in the my computer setting on Windows 7 and there is no CD icon there but the fact that it makes noise when a CD or DVD is inserted tells me there has to be a driver. Also since the CD drive is not working how do I force the computer to read my USB before loading up before the windows 7 loading screen pops up? I've already checked the bios by pressing F10 but it doesn't show anything for USB. But the USB works once I'm on the desktop. If I could fix that or the CD drive problem I could reinstall the OS without any problems. I called HP and they verified the laptop but it's so old it came out with Windows Vista we've had it about 9 years so the warranty is done and they wanted $100 which I think is a bit much when I can fix the problem myself and save the money but anyhow it's an HP Pavilion dv6000 series laptop.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 06:11:02 PM »
      Yes,that is too much to pay.
      If you relay need the DVD player, you can buy an external model for about $25 or less from some vendors. They are small and run from the USB ports.
      Also for about $160 you can buy a refurbished HP laptop that is as good or better than the HP model you have.
      The most valuable thing about our HP laptop is that it has a license for Widows 7. The is no only my option, but there are many users who want to stick with windows 7 as longs then can.

johnnyr860

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 08:11:50 PM »
        Well I don't really need the DVD player I just need to reinstall Windows 7. I'm just trying to save buying a laptop as a last resort but since I know the laptop can be fixed I don't see the need at the moment to get a newer one.

johnnyr860

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 08:15:17 PM »
          You also seem to misunderstand she's not a child anymore my mom is the one who asked me to unlock the computer in the first place so it wasn't my sister who's trying to log on. My mom gave her this computer during her freshmen highs Choo year so she could use it for school but my sister has graduated recently so she'll be using the laptop for college. Either way I'm just looking to reinstall the OS if possible so we don't have to shell out more money for another laptop.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 09:15:49 PM »
          Other users have claimed success using F10 to adjust the BIOS boot options (system configurations->Boot Order) and adjusting USB HARDDRIVE to be the first in the list, where they've been successful booting a properly prepared USB Flash drive.(Allegedly there is a "USB DEVICE" option as well- this one doesn't work).

Does the Flash Drive you are trying to boot from properly on other systems? You should confirm it is bootable on another system just to make sure.

Regarding the disc drive problem:
          Have you tried starting the computer with a bootable DVD/CD in the drive?

Note that the drive making sounds or spinning doesn't tell you much more other than the drive is getting power and the spindle motor is able to spin the drive. It could still have completely failed.

However, doing a bit of research, it seems that model of laptop is prone to an issue where the disc drive actually comes disconnected internally from the computer itself, so the system no longer sees it. It will still receive power so it will still do stuff if you insert or remove discs. At any rate, it may simply be a matter of reseating it. I found this straightforward video which covers it. It's mostly loosening one screw, extracting the drive, and then re-inserting it and refastening the screw.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

johnnyr860

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 10:11:07 PM »
            Well I tried to make USB Hard drive the first one in bios but that did not do anything for me. I unfortunately cannot test this on any other laptops because mines is the only one left and I am running Windows 10 on a Toshiba laptop. I can tell you this when you plug the USB in there is a red light that flashes on and off to let you know it is working and on the desktop it gives you a pop up with a list of options to view files and stuff. However when I plug the USB in and then power the laptop on the red light does not flash on and off until it reaches the log on screen for Windows 7. I tried my laptop same thing no red flashing light until I got to the Windows 10 log on screen.

At least I know the USB works since I am able to open it up on the desktop and see the files that are in there. As for the Bios in my Windows 10 laptop the startup screen did not give me any F2 or F10 or any of those F options to get into the bios screen. I tried them all one by one and it did not load the bios so I am not sure if Windows 10 just has no bios settings or what but either way I have no way of checking what you were saying about trying to load the OS using my USB on another computer.

As for the CD drive where did you see this video that shows you how to unscrew and screw in the CD/DVD drive? I am interested in trying that to see if that will fix the CD drive problem.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 11:00:49 PM »
            I will change my optic.  8)
            Perhaps somebody remembers the hidden administrator password. You get  into the system administrator by using the F8 key.
            Here is a general coverage of the safe mode:
            http://support.eset.com/kb2268/?locale=en_US
            Often the hidden administrator has a blank password. Or maybe Mother used here name for the hidden administrator.
            EDI: That may not work stall. Here is information widely available:
            http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405701,00.asp
            Mostly Very complete. There is more.

http://www.iseepassword.com/how-to-reset-windows-7-password.html
            When you were no prepared. (But uses a third party download.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W64b63khKoc
            Video. Ignore commercial. I like this one. Very clever. Requires a Linux CD.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-7
            Above is from Microsoft. Not much help.

While searching I found:
            Reset Windows 7 password
                Insert burnable USB or CD/DVD into locked computer, and make computer boot from these devices.
                Select Windows 7 and user account that you wish to reset password.
                Click Reset password to wait for removing Windows 7 password, and then Reboot.
            http://www.isunshare.com/windows-7-password/how-to-reset-windows-7-password-without-reset-disk.html

An another like that:
            Microsoft Windows
            Note. If you enter the wrong password when you attempt to log on, Windows displays a message that the password is incorrect. Click Reset password, and then insert your password reset disk or USB flash drive. Follow the steps in the Password Reset wizard to create a new password. Log on with the new password.
            From:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reset-windows-password#1TC=windows-7

Of course, I have not tried these. Just thought it would be easy rest the password rather that install over again.  :) 
            « Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:46:40 PM by Geek-9pm »

johnnyr860

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 09:37:20 AM »
              Sorry I should have updated this last night. I was up until about 2 in the morning trying to get into the computer and about to bang my head up against a wall. But at about 2 in the morning I found a youtube video that shows you how to gain access to the locked account for when you forget the password. I was able to successfully get into the account without any problems. I was gonna try that Windows Password Recovery program but since the USB didn't want to load first thing when I power up the computer I didn't want to take my chances and pay for the program just in case so I found this guys youtube video that shows you how to do it without needing any software or programs and it worked so I am pleased and happy and better yet I didn't have to install the OS again so no one loses their files :)

Now about that CD/DVD drive. I'm still working on trying to fix it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 10:14:40 AM »
              Did you already specify the Make and Model?
              You might find a free service manual somewhere on line.
              Yes, it is better not to pay for something the might not work.

Glad to here you got back into an administrator account.

Allan

• Mastermind
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 10:19:19 AM »
              You're not going to fix a broken drive. Two ways to test it:

1) Within Windows, if you insert a CD does it show up in Explorer? If so, the drive works. If not:

2) Insert a bootable CD (and of course make sure the optical drive is the first device in the bios boot order) and reboot. Does the system see the cd at boot? If so, then there is a problem within the OS. If not, replace the drive