Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Does Hitting a pc affect its hard drive?  (Read 8093 times)

hapaa

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Does Hitting a pc affect its hard drive?
    « on: June 05, 2016, 06:36:49 AM »
    Hey,

A week ago, someone woke me up at the bad timing, hence I got my rage out on my pc. I hit the keyboard several times until the screen took a pink with stitches.

Since that day, all problems came to that pc. It worked at first, but I couldn't reset it or else.
    It took me a week to partly fix it. I installed another computer's system image in mine. It was the same pc ( a double).

But it is slow and crushing, and I can't reset it. And it gives a hard drive error.

Is it because of the hit? Should I change my hard drive?

Thanks in advance.

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Does Hitting a pc affect its hard drive?
    « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 09:38:37 AM »
    Is this a laptop or a desktop?  If you struck the keyboard of a laptop with your fist then yes, you could have damaged the hard drive as the impact of the hit would be transferred to the hard drive within the laptop's case.  If you struck the keyboard of a desktop, then it would most likely only damage the keyboard itself.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 09:38:54 AM »
    Hard drives can certainly be damaged by shocks and blows, especially if they are powered up and spinning at the time. If you hit the PC hard enough to affect the display, then quite possibly the hard drive is damaged, probably by what is called a 'head crash'. This is permanent and cannot be fixed. As you probably now realise, taking out your anger by hitting a PC can be an expensive way to make yourself feel better. I suppose you may have knocked some connector loose, so it might be an idea to check all connections (with the PC turned off and the power cord removed) and seating of RAM chips etc but you are probably right about the cause of your problem.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 09:50:39 AM »
    A week ago, someone woke me up at the bad timing, hence I got my rage out on my pc.
    And it gives a hard drive error.

Time for a new hard drive drive... next time you have rage that you cant just let it go, take it out on a pillow, punching bag,  or go outside and split wood etc. Not making fun of you in any way btw as for I myself have minor bipolar condition that I have learned to control without meds. I have destroyed things and put fists and feet through walls, doors, and death punched an answering machine once when landlord that I paid his wife earlier that week claimed I never paid him, and it was his wife taking the money and spending it and I lived paycheck to paycheck and refused to pay him an additional moths rent because his wife was lying to him. Fortunately I had a receipt to show him the next day that I paid rent, but I killed that answering machine in one quick burst of rage and had to buy a new one for $40. And from then on I switched to paying rent by check vs cash.

Use of another computers image on your other computer is in violation of Microsoft EULA. You essentially will have 2 systems running the same key which is illegal.

Better option would be to create a system recovery set with the other healthy computer and replace hard drive in the damaged system, and then install the OS clean from factory supplied image in which you use the key for that specific computer against the image and activate with Microsoft. This way there are not 2 systems running on same key.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 09:54:45 AM »
    Also, adding a stationary exerciser bike to the  office may help the adrenaline rush.
    As for corporal punishment of a PC or hard drive, experts say it will impair performance permanently.
    Now in the case of the Hard drive, some moderate exceptions are in order. If a hard drive just will not come up to speed, you can punish it by putting it in the freezer overnight. Make sure it is at room temperature when it powers lower up again. The freezing is said to be a way of relaxing the bearings of the drive.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 10:02:35 AM »
    The freezing is said to be a way of relaxing the bearings of the drive.

Just want to state that, I have a computer out in loft of barn office and it was 27F outside and the hard drive in that system did not like the cold. Not sure if bearing lubricant was too thick or what, but it would have a hard drive failure at boot. But if I left the system on for about 3 minutes and hit the reset button it would boot and run properly. It was as if the drive wasnt coming up to speed when trying to boot at initial literally COLD Start. But after it ran for a couple minutes it would boot fine. Additionally on warmer days the problem wasnt there and system was fine. So you can chill a drive, but if too chilled it might not like it until it warms up.