Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Switching between keyboard layouts  (Read 6782 times)

Pete

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Experienced
    Switching between keyboard layouts
    « on: June 27, 2016, 09:28:26 AM »
    (My W10 came already installed on a new PC; it is not an upgrade.)

I have had two user-IDs for some time.  Both are configured with Input Language English (UK) and keyboard layouts German & Croatian.  I have Change Key Sequence for Switch Keyboard Layout set to Left Alt + Shift.  Everything works fine, just as it did in earlier versions of Windows.

Yesterday I created a third user-ID and set the same language & keyboard configurations as just described.  The Switch Keyboard Layout does not work!  Whichever option I select and confirm with OK, then go back into Change Key Sequence, the Switch Keyboard Layout has reverted to Not Assigned!!!!!  That user cannot switch keyboard layouts but the original two still can.

I'd be very grateful for any help or suggestions.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Switching between keyboard layouts
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 12:49:23 PM »
    No. The issue, or something like it,  has been identified over a year ago.

http://superuser.com/questions/963978/language-bar-missing
    The above is about the thing not shewing in the task bar

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4966509?start=0&tstart=0
    The above it can not keep even one setting.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/multilingual-user-interface-mui-windows
    This might point you in the right direction. Have you used this as your guide?

If that does not help, you need to contact MS support.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:26:13 PM »
    I believe Windows only stores 2 settings you can switch between which means your stuck with doing the 3rd manually i'm afraid.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 07:13:53 PM »
    I believe Windows only stores 2 settings you can switch between which means your stuck with doing the 3rd manually i'm afraid.
    Patio, I was thinking  that.  Microsoft has a thing called...
    Multilingual User Interface
    Which must mean only two at time.
    The MUI technology is covered by an international[citation needed] patent titled "Multilingual User Interface for an Operating System" (US Patent number: 6252589). The inventors are Bjorn C. Rettig, Edward S. Miller, Gregory Wilson, and Shan Xu.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multilingual_User_Interface
    The limit of only two is not explicitly stated.
    My guess is that no third party can touch it. There are some patents involved.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 10:24:10 PM »
    I can't find the option to change the key setting for "Change Keyboard Layout"; I was able to setup 2 users with several input languages and two keyboard layouts each and then a third and all the shortcuts I was able to configure for each worked fine. Left Alt+Shift was for changing the Input Language, but the keyboard layout options had to be set individually.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Pete

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 08:45:43 AM »
      No. The issue, or something like it,  has been identified over a year ago.

http://superuser.com/questions/963978/language-bar-missing
      The above is about the thing not shewing in the task bar

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4966509?start=0&tstart=0
      The above it can not keep even one setting.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/multilingual-user-interface-mui-windows
      This might point you in the right direction. Have you used this as your guide?

If that does not help, you need to contact MS support.

Many thanks for those suggestions.  Sorry for going back to something so old.  I thought I had adequately researched before posting but it seems I hadn't.

Re. 1:  I tried all those things (which wasn't easy as some were not where stated) but none helped.
      Re. 2:  I don't have an Apple machine.
      Re. 3:  If I can't get this one user's account to work like the others on this PC and my XP one, I'll have a look into that.

Pete

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 08:48:38 AM »

Thanks.  I'm not sure I fully understand.  I have only two keyboard settings (German and Croatian).  The problem is that, at the moment I can't switch between them.

Pete

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 08:56:51 AM »
          I can't find the option to change the key setting for "Change Keyboard Layout"; I was able to setup 2 users with several input languages and two keyboard layouts each and then a third and all the shortcuts I was able to configure for each worked fine. Left Alt+Shift was for changing the Input Language, but the keyboard layout options had to be set individually.

Thanks.  The option is here:
          Control Panel, Language, Advanced settings then, in about the middle of the screen, Change language bar hot keys.  In the next window, click on Change Key Sequence on the Advanced Key Settings tab.  There you can set the Key Sequences to...

a)  Switch Input Language.  I have only one so I leave that at Not Assigned.
          b)  Switch Keyboard Layout.  As mentioned in my original post, I've tried all three options but, as soon as I click on OK, it reverts to Not Assigned.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 09:15:33 AM »
          Thanks, It doesn't seem to be a limitation of the OS as I was able to setup the 3 test accounts I had with various languages, and a few layouts for each language. Unfortunately (as I'm sure you also discovered) I can't find any information on the issue.

One thing I did find is that apparently Lenovo systems somehow have the language options messed up and can have problems like this. I don't know if your system is a Lenovo or not.

Not a solution really but apparently Windows Key+Space presents a menu to choose from the available language options. That might provide a workaround at least.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 09:25:07 AM »
          As BC said, you may have to do a workaround.

This is for reference and does not have a concise solution to the issue.

Multilingual User Interface - Major items in Google search.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/327773
          <Multilingual User Interface (MUI) Updates Are Included in Windows XP SP1 >

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927776
          <The MUI for Windows Desktop Search 2.6.6 released on November 28, 2006. The MUI for Windows Desktop Search 2.6.6 is available as a free download from the Microsoft Download Center. This MUI includes resources in a single installation package for the following 30 languages:>

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/926141
          <Windows PowerShell 1.0 Multilingual User Interface (MUI) Language Pack for Windows Server 2003 and for Windows XP >

https://kb.plesk.com/en/6432
          <How to install Multilingual User Interface (MUI) Language Pack>

http://www.howtogeek.com/189270/alternative-keyboard-layouts-explained-dvorak-colemak-and-whether-you-should-care/
          <Alternative Keyboard Layouts Explained: Should You Switch to Dvorak or Colemak?>
          The above shows that the layout can be changed without the need for a language pack. Also, third-party programs could be used if need be. Of major importance is the issue of Uni-Code. Going from ASCII to Uni-Code is a big thing.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 09:31:12 AM »
          I don't think any of those links or information are particularly pertinent here, to Windows 10's multi-language  and keyboard layout options.

They are clearly having zero issues setting up and using multiple languages and multiple keyboard layouts. It is the configurable shortcut that allows switching between keyboard layouts that doesn't appear to function properly.

Pete

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 09:59:04 AM »
            I don't think any of those links or information are particularly pertinent here, to Windows 10's multi-language  and keyboard layout options.

They are clearly having zero issues setting up and using multiple languages and multiple keyboard layouts. It is the configurable shortcut that allows switching between keyboard layouts that doesn't appear to function properly.

Yes, that's basically it "BC".  Just a couple of points of clarification, if I may, just in case they help someone to help me:
            1)  I have only one language set (no switching necessary).
            2)  I didn't have any issues setting up and using multiple keyboard layouts on the first user I created some time ago and nor, as far as I know, did the shop who made the initial installation and sold me the PC.  The problem is only with the third user which I created recently.

By the way, just in case there was something wrong with that third user, I today created a fourth.  I've got the same problem.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 11:15:20 AM »
            Pardon me. I am slow to get it.
            So the problem is only the +issue of having a full set of shortcut keys?
            You can have even four layouts, but no easy way to go back and fourth?
            Does the user normally need to go back and forth quickly?
            How quick? A menu is not acceptable?  Toggles?
            Is there a three or four key press sequence that will get there?
            Can any of the F keys be used?

EDIT: Here I am using Windows 10 Home. It lets me add a number of the  layouts that are not uni code keyboard layouts for many European and even eastern keyboards. But there is no shortcut key. Only a menu from the task bar.
            Is that what you get? Can you select from a menu?
            « Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:16:36 PM by Geek-9pm »

Pete

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 04:49:23 AM »
              Just in case anyone else has or gets this problem, I have found a workaround (I don't consider it a solution):

It seems that Windows has a default keyboard switching shortcut:  Ctrl+Shift  (NOT Windows+Space, as stated on some sites).  By using that combination, my new users can switch keyboard layouts.  I then went back to the first two users, where I can change the switching method, and changed that from my preferred LeftAlt+Shift to Ctrl+Shift.

At least all users can now change keyboard layouts and use the same key combination to do so.  It's just a shame they all have to change from the combination they are used to from the previous Windows, as the facility to choose the switching method works for only some users.  This must be a bug!  (If anyone knows differently, do please correct me:)

Pete

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 07:06:13 AM »
                STOP PRESS:  I have now found a solution!!  That is, for those who are not afraid to edit the registry.

Please see the attached.  The configuration shown was for one of my two original users, who could switch keyboards using my preferred method of LeftAlt+Shift.  I edited the registry for the newer users to match that configuration and now they too can switch that way.  Note that the third-level folder "Toggle" did not even exist!  Although it is only the item "Layout Hotkey" which defines the switching method, all four items have to exist and, probably, be set as shown.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]