Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU keeps spiking to 100%  (Read 3046 times)

escoru

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    CPU keeps spiking to 100%
    « on: July 08, 2016, 07:02:11 AM »
    Hello guys,

Whenever I play a computer game (Heroes of the Storm, Diablo III, WoW) my framerate drops very low and when I open my task manager it says my CPU is at 90 - 100%. Previously I never had trouble with this but since two days I can't play any game anymore due to the low framerates and sometimes even the freezing of my screen.

I have tried scanning my PC with G DATA antivirus already but nothing was found (antivirus was up to date).

Does anyone have suggestions on how to tackle this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Escoru

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: CPU keeps spiking to 100%
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 07:16:07 AM »
    which process is spiking?

escoru

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 07:45:26 AM »
      It goes to 100% and then drops to 60 - 70% I mean, and that process repeats

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 07:50:38 AM »
      In Task Manager, go to the processes tab and sort on the cpu column with highest usage at the top (click on "cpu" twice). Which process is using the cycles when it spikes?

escoru

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 08:01:59 AM »
        I tried it with a game running and then the game (Heroes of the Storm) is on top and using the cycles as it spikes (I also tried it with other games and it gives the same effect)

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 09:51:55 AM »
        You will want to select to "show processes from all users" in task manager also otherwise you could have something running and wont see it listed. Then sort the CPU column so that the most CPU intensive programs are at top of list.

additionally if you have something else running that is starving the games of CPU processing power you should see something running even with games not running.

* One thing to mention also is that if you have any addons running for these games, shut the addons off and see if that helps. I have had addons for World of Warcraft such as Recount, Altoholic, and Carbonite go sour on me and cause lag and heavy CPU use only when the games are playing. The fix is generally to get a newer version of the addon through curse or just disable the addon until a newer addon is available to pair up to whichever patch version the game is at.

What make/model computer do you have or if custom built what are the specs of the system as well, as well as how much free hard drive or SSD space do you have?

escoru

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 11:46:21 AM »
          I clicked on "show processes from all users" and the game is on top at the moment. There seem to be no other programs that are starving the games.

My specs are: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz / AMD Radeon R9 200 Series / 16 GB and I'm running on windows 7.

I don't really use addons for the games I play at the moment too.