Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Building gaming pc  (Read 2889 times)

Commando225

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Building gaming pc
    « on: July 12, 2016, 08:43:41 PM »
    Hi new hear my old at least 12 year old dell died so I have decided to make a all new pc, hear is the parts I have decided to use is it a decent combo or not.  CPU ADM-FX8350 4.0 gh,  motherboard msi 970,  power source EGVA 500W.  RAM GSKILL RIP JAW 8 mb 2 sticks is dbr3 to match bord, GPU Asus Navidad geforce 750 time 2 gb.  I do plan on using Windows 10 and any other suggestions and welcome thank you.

Gypsy_Joker

Beginner
    • "Maths"- If it seems easy than your doing it wrong
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Building gaming pc
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 09:29:06 PM »
    if your looking for a cheapish gaming GPU i'd go for the gigabyte geforce GTX 950. As it is much more powerful and not that much more expensive.
    I would suggest an SSD if you don't already have one.
    Me fail English that's unpossible! "Ralph Wiggum"

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 09:37:38 PM »
    Sounds good. May I ask some questions?
    Have you ever built a computer before? Do you have some experience in building anything electronic?
    Do you have one or good good buddies that share lour interests?
    If something goes wrong, do you have enough cash to buy a replacement part?

Here is an gut feeling I have. It does not hurt to buy a motherboard with a builtin-in video chip. You can first bring up the system with  the bonbon video and check everything out. My personal mishaps have been with video carts. So I am afraid of putting in the GPU until I know everything is working fine.

Now about the motherboard.  I am not qualified to comment on that model, I have had no experience with any MSI boards.  :)

Commando225

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 10:54:24 PM »
      I am leaning towards a ssd over a hard drive.  First coumpter for me I have friends that done a few but even combo is different and I'll look in to throw gtx 950

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 06:07:44 AM »
      Looks like a reasonable machine, a GTX 950 would certainly work.  You may also want to compare the prices of using an Intel Core i5 instead of the AMD FX 8350 as they tend to perform better in gaming workloads.  Personally I avoid MSI and ASRock motherboards - May be worth taking a look at ones from Gigabyte or ASUS instead as they are generally seen as better brands, price difference isn't huge.

I'd definitely get an SSD without a doubt, the speed boost it will give is massive.  You can always get a hard drive and put it in as a second disk if you find you need more storage space in the future .

It would probably help if you gave us your budget and country, this would make it easier to get a rough idea of the best price-performance balance for your situation.

Commando225

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 06:00:22 PM »
        I will look in to different boards and there any that would be recommended I would like a set up that I can upgrade down the road,  my budget is not much of a problem I'm looking for a set up that I'll be happy with out spending a arm. And I'm located in the states.  Thanks for all the replys.

Gypsy_Joker

Beginner
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 06:55:40 PM »
        I have below are some mid range mother boards for the 2 different CPU's i like Gigabyte and asus because of their excellent quality and life span (if treated well)
        the only downside to these motherboards is the RAM speed is limited. but that wont hold you back at all anyway. You mentioned you want to further upgrade this PC down the track, The intel motherboards have DDR4 Ram slots. (i would assume you would buy a skylake cpu) and i included a Z170 motherboard if you buy a overclockable cpu later. So that's just something to think about. The AMD boards only do DDR3, and i'm not sure about overclocking.

AMD-FX8350
        AMD: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P
                 Asus M5A97 PLUS

Intel core i3-6100/ i5 6500/6600k
        Intel (skylake): Gigabyte G1.Sniper B7
                               Asus Z170-E

Commando225

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 07:13:23 PM »
          I was alordy looking at two of those boards I did not see the gigabit sniper before good looking board,  I may consider the Asus m5a99fx.  I may over clock in the future which I can with the amd 8350 but I'm not sure about which boards.  Ardent there any ssd that you would recommend in the past I always ran Seagate hard drives but now I'm need to catch up with the crowd, lol.

Gypsy_Joker

Beginner
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 09:49:11 PM »
          At the moment the optimal minimal cost setup would be to have a smaller SSD as the boot drive with OS and small programs. and a HDD for bigger stuff like digital media games and large programs, In my rig i have a Intel 535 240gb SSD as boot drive a WD green 2tb for game and movies. Once 1tb SSD start costing around $100 consumer hard drives will be obsolete.

Samsung and Intel have the more expensive SSD's i have noticed, a Kingston or Sandisk would be fine they are usually only $5 - $20 cheaper depending on models. (that's just what i noticed in my local stores)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 11:18:50 PM »
          The SSD is a great choice. But you should understand why it is better.
          Look at this:
          Which Upgrades Will Improve Your PC Performance the Most?
          In the above the author ranks RAM and GPU as being more important. But you need to read the entire article to get what he means.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 01:28:05 AM »
          The SSD is a good choice.
          A Solid State Drive is a very new entry into the Personal Computer world.
          If we were speaking about a new notebook  PC, then SSD could  be the best choice and even the only choice for mass storage. The OP wants a gaming Desktop. He has not stated if he needs a lot  of storage space
          If he only plays a few games, then SSD is the best choice.
          Otherwise he will need both SSD and HDD  if he has a large library of photos, videos and downloads and other materiel that requires huge storage.

I am not against SDD. The OP indicates  he is new to this hobby. Here is a good article about the things you must know about the proper use of a SDD.

http://www.howtogeek.com/165472/6-things-you-shouldnt-do-with-solid-state-drives/
          On operating systems that support TRIM, files are deleted immediately. When you delete a file in your operating system, the OS informs the solid-state drive that the file was deleted with the TRIM command, and its sectors are immediately erased. Your data will be deleted immediately and can’t be recovered
          The OP should fully understand what that means. A SSD aloes the way the Windows system works. Or even Linux or Apple OS.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:41:09 AM by Geek-9pm »