Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: win10 update failed  (Read 4465 times)

Jerry7235

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    win10 update failed
    « on: August 06, 2016, 05:43:21 PM »
    in trying to update my win10 I receive this error message :" can not update because active partition is compressed

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: win10 update failed
    « Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 08:44:53 PM »
    Use your backup and restore the partition to Windows 7.
    After that, you need to verify the partition is a type that can receive Windoqs10.
    Microsoft explains this error.
    Can't install Windows 10 - PC Uses a compressed operating system

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 04:46:52 AM »
    Open Windows Explorer, Right-Click on the drive and choose PROPERTIES. On the General Tab uncheck "compress drive". Click on "apply" or "okay".

Jerry7235

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 11:05:54 AM »
      I did, but it shows that ii is not compressed.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 12:24:42 AM »
      Jerry7235,

Did you have Windows 7 installed on that Hard Drive. Your profile says you use XP.
      The free Windows 7 to Widows 10 upgrade is now over. If you want Windows 10,you will have to pay the price.

If you only want to learn more about Windows 10, you can download a full version as a ISO file type and use that to test the performance on Windows 10 on your current PC.

Microsoft has a policy that lets individuals try Windows 10 without a product key.  Some features do not work and the  Windows 10 system might become blocked after 30 days. So that is enough time to see if Windows 10 is worth the mopey.

This has been documented. However, the install program does not make it very clear that you can run it for 30 days. When it asks for the product key, you just go on to the next step.

My commendation is to install Windows 10 to a clean hard drive. You can install Windows 10 from either a DVD you burn or from a USB flash drive.

Some time  back I had a lot of trouble trying to install Windows 10 on my old PC.
      Other CH members held my hand until I found what I did wrong. My hardware is not really compatible with Windows 10. Here is the link about my sad story:

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=150588.0
      Perhaps that might be of some help. Later I found that my HP printer would interfere with the install. So I turn off the printer until Windows 10  was up and running.
      Hope this is of some help to you.   :)