Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop keyboard no longer responding.  (Read 2315 times)

Chase Hollins

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    laptop keyboard no longer responding.
    « on: August 20, 2016, 08:04:23 PM »
    Today in the middle of a game my laptop stopped responding to keyboard inputs.  However my usb mouse was functioning fine.  I couldn't use a single button, including both macros and power button.  I restarted my computer however nothing changed.  My computer is now in sleep mode,  something that can only be ended with a button press, not mouse clicks.  While my mouse is receiving power the usb keyboard I plugged in is not.  Currently I am waiting for my computer to die to see if a reboot will fix it.  However that will most likely take a few days since I have no way to get my computer out of sleep mode.

I would appreciate it greatly if anyone knew what might be causing this or could offer advice.  I also apologize for my lack of formatting, I am writing this on my phone.

Chase Hollins

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: laptop keyboard no longer responding.
      « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 10:19:18 PM »
      Ok I fixed it.  For those who encounter this issue in the future where your computer is in sleep mode, you can't wake it up so you have no way to access your power button, and your manual power button isn't working I had to take a screwdriver and open up my running computer and pull the batter out so it shut down.  Alternatively I guess you could wait for the computer to die on its own.  At first my power button didn't respond but after a few seconds it, and the rest of my keyboard, were functioning again. 

plodr

Beginner

Re: laptop keyboard no longer responding.
        « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 12:25:27 PM »
        Thank goodness the three netbooks we own do not require opening the netbook to remove the battery.

Make I ask what brand laptop so I know to avoid this.