Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PowerShell made cross-platform on 18 August  (Read 3010 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
PowerShell made cross-platform on 18 August
« on: August 21, 2016, 02:08:37 AM »
PowerShell was made open-source and cross-platform on 18 August 2016.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/powershell-is-microsofts-latest-open-source-release-coming-to-linux-os-x/

That can allow a Windows network administrator do stuff on a remote Linux workstation.

Even if you seldom program, you ought to take a look at PowerShell.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: PowerShell made cross-platform on 18 August
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 07:55:04 AM »
Powershell addresses a deficiency in Windows, in terms of it's command interpreter (CMD) not being quite up-to-snuff when compared to things like bash. While Open Sourcing and making the product cross-platform is neat, it's not going to provide a lot of value to existing *nix users (and admins), as they already have a much better shell (in terms of being a good shell for *nix systems) in the form of bash, since it adheres to  the *nix philosophy.

A lot of the Open Source "moves" Microsoft has been taking- The .NET Roslyn Compiler, then .NET itself and now Powershell, and even the ability to integrate bash into Windows- are likely motivated not by any end-user consumer desire but by Microsoft's own desires when it comes to Azure.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

Re: PowerShell made cross-platform on 18 August
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 08:30:15 AM »
That can allow a Windows network administrator do stuff on a remote Linux workstation.
I do that using SSH in a terminal window, and I get to use Bash, which I much prefer to Powershell.