Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: custom built computer random freezing  (Read 4883 times)

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
custom built computer random freezing
« on: September 11, 2016, 02:15:32 AM »
ever since I bought this computer it just randomly freezes... normally when opening programs it will freeze for 30 seconds and even the audio will go out until the computer unfreezes.... if i'm lucky the whole computer will just restart maybe with a blue screen (like holding the power button till turns off and then pressing it again)  will also do this same thing most every time (but not every time) i'm trying to go on the internet but only when loading a new page or refresh in IE, chrome and in Firefox doesn't matter the browser mostly see it with video/audio

this computer uses 16% cpu  and 4GB of ram at idle! I would like to get it working so I can do some music recording!

it's built by a custom pc manufacture/builder and I bought it used from the original owner who never really got to use it from ebay... the company who built this computer voided any and all warranty when the original owner sold it to me it has great specs so I don't think the specs limit it and make it slow/freeze

some of the specs are

it has an 3rd gen i7-3770 Quad core CPU
16 GB of ram
32GB SSD (where windows 7 is installed) plus 2TB 7200rpm HDD
Intel Graphics
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:28:53 AM by Whitie III »

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
Re: custom built computer random freezing
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 03:08:13 AM »
Need more info such as:

make/model of motherboard
make/model of power supply
make/model of RAM
make/model of SSD and Hard Drive

*Most computers made by builders and sold on ebay cut corners in quality, since most people buying off ebay are looking for cheap, and cheap usually means lower quality components or buying other peoples problems. Im assuming that its not a quality build. Maybe the parts listing will prove otherwise. You could have a combination of a cheap unstable power supply with a low quality known for bugs or other flaw motherboard with a older refurb and no name brand SSD with the cheapest value RAM available.

One of my friends use to cut corners with new computer builds buy buying DOA systems off of ebay and yanking the CPU, RAM, and Hard Drive from the systems and scrapping the rest add a $50 motherboard and a $15 case to make it look like new and functional again, and then sell a computer with specs that would cost about $700 for $400 and he only had $150 into it for a nice $250 profit on about 2 hours of labor. The person buying the computer for $400 thought it was all new, but the CPU, Hard Drive, and RAM of a dead main board donor was used and so parts were not all new. Most people wouldnt know any better and assume that all parts are brand new, when in reality the DOA system that parts were used from took a lightning strike to the power supply and main board and so components that work from the DOA box could be stressed going into the new build that is sold with used parts.

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 03:53:31 AM »
the guy I bought it from on ebay didn't build it he bought it from a company that builds them

I'm using CPU-Z and Speccy and won't know exactly what it all has until I take out the 7-10 screws that holds the top on, off but it looks to have :

Asus P8H61-I R2.0 Motherboard

2 sticks of patriot PC3-10700 (667MHz) 8GB

a SanDisk ReadyCache SDSSDRC-032G 32gb SSD and a Seagate 2 TB HHD

and Intel HD Graphics 4000

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 05:23:06 AM »
Is the OS on that SSD?

Feedback found on this drive states:
Pros: It is cheap, easy to install and boosts performance when it actually works correctly..................(see "cons")

Cons: but most of the time it crashes/freezes your computer or whatever game you are playing. it takes awhile to fill up the cache for a boost but if it gets too full like past 26gb it RESETS and clears the cache. if you restart the machine, you lose the cache. if the UI decides it was not installed correctly out of nowhere it RESETS the cache. if the cache gets too full it will slow down your boot speed also. You are pretty much at the mercy of the horrid software as to whether you cache anything.

If you have a free SATA hard drive of 40GB capacity or larger, I'd use macrium reflect and clone the 32GB SSD to that and run the system without the SSD and see if it cures it. Additionally what do event logs show in windows as for the suggestion I made was a shotgun approach based on negative feedback I found for that SSD.

The good thing is the CPU, RAM are good quality. The ASUS feedback for that ITX board shows some negative feedback for issues, but that SSD I am targeting right now as a probable cause.

**Knowing the make/model of the power supply would help to as for a power supply that isnt powering properly can cause instability issues.

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 09:38:37 AM »
ssd isn't the problem as I can reproduce the same problems with an HHD.... I don't have the ssd in it anymore I have a 160 GB western digital 2.5" HHD in it's place (all I had)... I cloned the ssd to the hdd.... it would be a total hassle to get any drives that are for hardware that isn't made by the big companies (Intel, Asus, Ect) if I have to wipe and start fresh.... the touch screen it made by the computer builder and I would have to email them for the driver that's like pulling teeth but the company is great!

but on second note there is so much room in this case for most anything I would like to do except for adding any video card (any of the good ones i'd want)... no way possible the case is not tall and not long enough for any of the modern GTX cards (titan x(p), 1080, and 1070)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:54:30 AM by Whitie III »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 09:48:33 AM »
Builders don't "make" touchscreens...and of the Co. is great it shouldn't be pulling teeth to get drivers from them...

Any Yellow !!'s in Device Manager ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 10:02:08 AM »
none of those in device manager and not as hard as I'm saying just have to email them for drivers and they will give them to me... the touch screen is a frame that they make and goes over a monitor that they sell

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 10:05:49 AM »
Best of Luck...never heard of one.

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »
ya the frame takes any monitor and makes it a touchscreen but I don't use it.... I use a 30" monitor as my main monitor..... but that's not my problem...  i'm having issues with this system freezing

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 10:15:12 AM »
Is the RAM on the MBoard QVL list ? ?....what are your Temps like ? ?

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 10:17:12 AM »
Is the RAM on the MBoard QVL list ? ?....what are your Temps like ? ?

don't know what you mean

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 10:26:49 AM »
just loading google.com to go get some things made it freeze and my audio stop working when frozen... and it just freezes, unfreezes, and freezes again.... if I'm lucky it will blue screen... this just started happening but I just turned off automatic restart on blue screen to see what it is as it restarts too quick for me to see what it is... and normally it blue screens when not frozen

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 10:27:20 AM »
All MBoards have a QVL list for RAM...it means the RAM on their list has been specifically lab tested on that MBoard...and approved.

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 10:44:56 AM »
ram looks to be on the QVL list via this page http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/H81M-A/H81M-A_memory_QVL.pdf

my highest temp via SpeedFan is temp1 57 C but didn't know what temp you wanted exactly and looks like my CPU fan is running at a constant 2295 RPM

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 03:22:56 PM »
DLoad and run MemTest...follow the guide for making a boot CD/USB device....

Let it run at least 1 hour...any errors at all = a bad RAM stik