Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Electrical static, lagging etc  (Read 2284 times)

Siggi Trust

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Electrical static, lagging etc
    « on: September 20, 2016, 11:25:43 AM »
    Hi everyone. My first post here.
    Just going to get right to the point.

I just bought new speakers (Vertrag speakers from Thonet & Vander) and after plugging them, I've been getting terrible electrical static and lag going on in almost everything I do. Whether it's playing games or watching videos or anything else.
    It happens like, periodically and I think it may be due to some electrical interference, as if I have too many things connected or something of the sort.
    I'm on Windows 10 and my computer is used for 3d graphics so it's not a bad computer and I also recently got a new graphics card.

I'm also getting wavy lines on one monitor (I've got two monitors and an HD TV in my setup) but this problem is older and I thought my monitor was just getting bad, besides it's a monitor I use very little.

I usually get some bad sounds from the computer shortly after I turn it on which I don't remember happening before. But it stops in a few minutes. Like it's coming from the fan or something.

Now I had three strips of....connections...what do you call them....hubs? As in where you can plug....three or more...different....yeah you know what I mean. Now I had three connected to one wall socket and pretty much everything was there. My computer, one monitor, the TV and something else in the first one, I've got a router, then the box thingy for the high speed internet (whatever you call that as well), got the third monitor, that was I think in the third one.....
    I tried switching some things, put two hubs into another wall where my fridge is. Now I've got two for the computer, the first one has the computer, TV and one monitor, the second the router and Internet thingy and the other monitor.

But okay, that's enough. Now....I tried connecting the new speakers into different plugs and found I was getting the least amount of interference by plugging the speakers directly into the wall. It was by far the best but I was still getting the static periodically and lag following. As I play a game it usually happens when I do something, like interact with something, open a drawer and stuff. Shoot my gun. So in that sense it's like it's a problem with the computer but this is very sudden.
    At times I've got a very long period of terrible lag that goes on for a minute or two.

I have no idea whether this is my computer acting up but I feel it has to have something to do with the speakers. But there are some strange things....

1. I plugged my old speakers, same problem really.
    2. I've plugged my phone into the new speakers, no problems.

This is getting too long, I'll stop now. Any questions just ask. This doesn't make any sense to me so this post is probably really unclear.
    But I really, REALLY need help with this.

Thank you

Siggi Trust

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Electrical static, lagging etc
      « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 01:20:03 PM »
      then again.....
      I'm running into some common Windows 10 problems I've been googling. My Disk usage is jumping to 100% and stuff like that and since I wrote the post I've been working on fixing that. Trying to see if anything changed with a reboot. I think I just need some Windows 10 help in general but it's so confusing why I started experiencing this just after I plugged new speakers......

Siggi Trust

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 04:38:23 PM »
        nevermind....after googling Windows 10 problems like so often, I got rid of some processes that are apparently notorious for causing problems.
        I turned off Win 10 notifications in the Settings > Notifications and Action something and stopped the NVIDIA Backend process. This has been causing havoc for a lot of people and it was the culprit for the insane Disk usage.

After a reboot and trying a game again, everything is running smoothly, not one static instance or lag.
        Seems to be only a coincidence that it started happening after plugging in new speakers....

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 04:45:19 PM »
        You must be right.
        Elsewhere prole have named that process as the culprit.
        http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2536614/nvidia-backend-leading-100-cpu-usage.html
        My PC was quite unresponsive earlier so I opened up task manager to check if anything was open that shouldn't be - and I noticed that NVIDIA backend is using extremely high amounts of my CPU. I've tried reinstalling it but it didn't help. Does anyone know what this could be?
        -February 13, 2015