Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop making noises, and vibrating.  (Read 4517 times)

dstein

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Laptop making noises, and vibrating.
    « on: September 23, 2016, 12:42:13 AM »
    Starting a few days ago and getting progressively more common and extreme my new laptop(assuming Hard Drive), will sometimes go out of control, spinning extremely quickly causing the laptop to vibrate. The noise gets so bad that people in Skype calls have called it the sound of a lawn mower, or a remote control plane.

I am not sure what is causing it, but here is what I have checked:
    -Virus Scan (AVG), 0 viruses.
    -Computer says there "are no hardware issues"
    -The computer is not overheating, the fan is exposed, and I can put my hand anywhere and not feel too much heat.
    -The computer is overall new, got it about a month ago, and haven't done anything that should cause any issues, I have kept Virus Protection on it, don't download untrusted stuff, all that jazz.

If anyone has any ideas on this that would be great, do remember this is a laptop, not desktop. Specs as well as a recording of it below (I apologize in advance for the poor sound quality in the recording)

Specs:
    2.6 GHz i7 CPU
    12 GB Ram
    64 bit OS (win 10)
    1 TB hard drive

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptop making noises, and vibrating.
    « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 05:47:11 AM »
    Is there a disc in the DVD drive of laptop?

I have had this issue with a DVD Drive spinning up a disc in the drive that is off balance causing the vibration. If you have a disc in the DVD drive remove it and see if the noise goes away.

Cooling fans are the other likely cause. A fan that is off balance will vibrate. ***If its a new laptop return it for another under warranty vs opening it up and voiding your warranty.

Its very unlikely that the hard drive is the cause. The drive is sealed and platters are balanced as well as if it was a hard drive is dying the sound would usually be a whine vs vibration. Vibration means something is off balance ( unbalanced DVD is in DVD Drive - or- Fan Failure )

dstein

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 03:24:29 PM »
      Is there a disc in the DVD drive of laptop?

I have had this issue with a DVD Drive spinning up a disc in the drive that is off balance causing the vibration. If you have a disc in the DVD drive remove it and see if the noise goes away.

No there is not a disk in the laptop.

Cooling fans are the other likely cause. A fan that is off balance will vibrate. ***If its a new laptop return it for another under warranty vs opening it up and voiding your warranty.

I was planning on when I  was able taking it back since it does have a warranty. How would the fan have gotten off balance? The computer moved minimally, and it isn't hit or anything. Plus this wasn't an issue when I first got it. Any clue how it got off balance?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 04:49:06 PM »
      If it's under warranty get it back there ASAP and quit tryin to figure it out for whatever reason...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lorraine walsh

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
        « Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 06:00:52 AM »
        The sound could mean the fan is failing and needs replacing. Lubricating the fan may help but would be a temporary fix. Or maybe you could blow the fan and vents with a can of compressed air to make sure it is clear of debris and dust.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 07:10:46 AM »
        It's new...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "