Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer keeps shutting down  (Read 2497 times)

stevekay83

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Computer keeps shutting down
    « on: September 27, 2016, 01:11:13 PM »
    For the last few months, my Compaq Presario (Model No. SR5710Y) had begun crashing regularly with the Blue Screen of Death.  I've gotten a variety of errors, although to be honest, I don't remember what they all were.  Sometimes it would sound like it was still on, but the monitor was not recognizing the computer as being on.  Hoping to fix this problem, I did a clean install of Windows 10 on my hard drive.  The problems persisted, so I suspected maybe it was an issue with the hard drive itself.  So I bought and installed a new hard drive, installed Windows 10 on it, and the problem is still persisting.  The BSOD's have mostly stopped, but my computer still won't stay on for more than a few minutes before going into that on-but-not-on state.

I'd like to figure out definitively what is causing this problem, and to know if there's any way to fix it.  If not, it'll be time for a new computer, which I hope to avoid if possible, as I'm a poor college student.  I am a computer science student, so I am at least somewhat familiar with the workings of the operating system, etc.  I'm more hazy on the hardware aspect, so any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer keeps shutting down
    « Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 02:22:33 PM »
    Is this your PC?
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01616203
    Compaq Presario SR5710Y Desktop PC Product Specifications
    How long have you had it? Dud you re seat the RAM?
    Have you ever cleaned out the dust?

First wild guess is to check the power supply. It might not be that, but that is a good place to begin.  Replacing the power supply is a reasonable project. Both in cost and time.

If you are a poor student, do not buy a new computer unless you get a real goo discount. You may wish to consider get another Desktop PC just like the one you have from certified re seller.

On eBay there are some reputable dealers with desktops like yours for under $100 and with 90 day warranty. Some have 800 numbers, so it is a free phone call to ask Most likely you monitor, keyboard and mouse are all good. You just want the box.

IMO, if it is not the Power supply or the RAM, it is best to just get a new unit fr a good reseller .Doing a m Motherboards troubleshoot  is note for beginners.

EDIT: After I posted, found an eBay item:
    HP Compaq DC7800 Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz 160GB 2GB RAM DVD+RW w/ Windows 7 Pro
    Price was $0 for just the unit with no  monitor, keyboard or mouse.
    For double the price he offers a two year warranty.
    Others re sellers have similar deals.
    « Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:39:53 PM by Geek-9pm »

stevekay83

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 03:30:41 PM »
      Thanks for the prompt response.  I cleaned out the dust, tested the power supply and have come to the conclusion that it's an issue with the motherboard.  That being said, I'm going to go ahead an shop around online for a new computer.  Thanks for the tips and your suggestions.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 06:38:27 PM »
      I wrote $50, but had a slip. Good certified used PCs on eBay arein the range of about $75 to $150 more or less. Notice shipping charges and the reputation of the vendor. Most have some kind of return policy. If in doubt, ask them questions.
      Here is a another link:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Acomputers%2Ck%3Arefurbished&keywords=refurbished&ie=UTF8&qid=1475368584

That is a search into Amazon for refurbished computers. They are higher priced that eBay. But might be a safe way to go. Take a look