Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New laptops colours are off  (Read 3192 times)

Faithfeline

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    New laptops colours are off
    « on: September 30, 2016, 10:12:45 PM »
    Hello i just purchased a new laptop it is the HP Envy 15-as050na 15.6" and upon starting it up all looked fine until i started viewing websites i usually do and the colours of most things look different! White looks cream, purple looks pink and it generally has a washed out look to it except for very intense bright colours. It seems too yellow/warm coloured. I have tried calibrating it, changing its hue and saturation, checkings its graphics card is up to date but nothing has worked. Im now so worried that this is just what its screen looks like due to an artical i found from 2012 about what would have been an old Envy model, HP saying that colours would look different on it to other screens. Surely this has been fixed by now and if not you should be warned before purchase. I am devastated as i spent alot on this laptop(for me anyway) and i need it for college doing digital art, well if it cant show colours correctly its useless to me. The thing is if its not a fault PC world wont take it back according to their terms and conditions as i bought it in store.
    Please does anyone know anything about this sort of problem or maybe even this laptop and what its display is usually like? Or if it actually is a genuine fault so i can return it? Thank you for your help

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: New laptops colours are off
    « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 11:19:06 PM »
    If athe coloors are off, it is a defect.
    This does happen and it is a common problem. You should not have  to repair or calibrate a new laptop.
    Reference:
    http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop-screen-shows-strange-wrong-colors/
    A test image:

You should insiste ther vendor return it to the  maker.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 01:32:26 PM »
    I'd return it under warranty, but copy your data to external drive and perform a system recovery to like new out of box before giving it back.

I bought a $999 returned computer at $280 discount for $719 at a big name office supplies store chain that sells computers and the computer was sold to me with the prior owners information still on it. I performed the clean install process that the store or prior owner should have done to wipe it clean and make it fresh like new again without the prior owners data. Prior owner had Quicken installed with personal info and more and I shook my head at how stupid the prior owner and the office supply chain store was to just sell it as an open box returned computer without regard of data security. Fortunately I'm one of the good guys, but there are others out there who given the opportunity would have run with that info and caused trouble.

Lorraine walsh

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 06:29:45 AM »
      The main troubleshooting step is testing the video output on an external monitor (or TV). You can connect your laptop to an external monitor using VGA cable, DVI cable, HDMI cable or S-Video cable, it depends on a type of connector you have. If the external screen is showing right color resolution, than there is fault in your laptop resolution (for which I'd also recommend claiming your warranty asap, since it's new) but if the external one is also showing off colors, than there is the problem with your graphics card.