Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How does one disable the 30 second wait time for Remote Desktop connections?  (Read 10488 times)

rdgodin

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    When one RDP's to a remote Windows system, the following "Logon Message" is displayed: "Another user is currently logged on to this computer.  If you continue, this user has to disconnect from this computer.  Do you want to continue?"  If you click "Yes" this message is displayed: "Please wait for domain\user to respond."  On the remote system, this message is displayed: "domain\user wants to connect to this machine.  Click OK to disconnect immediately or click cancel to stay connected.  Otherwise, you will be disconnected in 30 seconds."
    I don't want to give the user the option to deny my connection nor do I want to wait 30 seconds for the connection to be established.  I want the connection to be established immediately without the user's consent.
    « Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 06:58:53 AM by rdgodin »

Salmon Trout

Why do you want to do this?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    I was wondering the very same thing myself...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rdgodin

Topic Starter

Starter

Why do I want to do this?  I don't but my customer does.  As you know, "The customer is always right" even when they're wrong.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      I would explain to the customer that because of security considerations i would not do that at all...

And something tells me this is not a customer request at all.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lorraine walsh

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
        using Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) there is a setting under :

Administrative Templates \ Windows components \ Remote desktop services \ Remote desktop session host \  Connections

saying "Set rules of remote control of remote desktop services" witch lets you specify the interaction mode and the control level for an RDP session

enable it and choose the "Full control without user permission" option. so the logged user won't be prompt for confirmation (there is more details there)

you can also set the Session time limit for active but idle RDP service under session time limit folder to "Never" and it won't disconnect you IDLE.

rdgodin

Topic Starter

Starter

Defining the local group policy was one of the first things I tried as that was the solution I found when I first started researching this issue.  Unfortunately that solution doesn't give me my desired results.  It no longer matters.  I found that the 30 second wait time for an RDP connection to be established is only encountered if the remote system has an open/active session.  If the remote system’s user session is locked, the notification message is not sent and the remote system’s user session is immediately terminated and the remote session is established.  That is also the case if there isn't and active user session on the remote system.
          This was a customer issue and I have notified the customer that the 30 second wait time can't be disabled.  Since the customer's employees will only be making remote connections after hours when no one should be using the remote system, this is no longer and issue.
          Thanks to everyone for their responses.