Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Looking to buy gaming desktop  (Read 2641 times)

Rikisipi

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Looking to buy gaming desktop
    « on: October 28, 2016, 07:11:54 AM »
    Hello I hope this is the right place to post.

I am looking to buy a gaming desktop. I do not know alot about computer specs so I thought I would post here to help. I have been looking at the alienware alpha R2. I have heard that it is overpriced. I have a budget of about $1000 but I would pay a few extra hundred if it really improved performance. I do not need a massive rig just a decently fast desktop to play a few of my favourite games on steam, and use league of legends and discord at the same time.

Any help and advice would be appreciated. I am from Australia that seems to limit the options a bit I think.

Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Looking to buy gaming desktop
    « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 05:10:04 PM »
    Do you want to build a system completely, or buy a system and add a video card, or buy a gaming system from manufacturer as a gaming system?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 05:33:53 PM »
    A brief note. Thee are a lot of things to consider when shopping for a game computer.  The price and quality vary a lot. And high price is not always what you need. What gaming experience have you already had?  Xbox?  PS2?

Do you have some idea about what games you might want to play? It matters. Some older games may not work well on new computers. Other games require very high performance and that means a high price computer.
    Do you have in mind some games you have seen other play?
    Please list games you like the best.

Rikisipi

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 12:53:36 AM »
      At the moment I just play league and a few games with similar requirements the same on steam. I play skyrim and would love to play the new warhammer total war.

I think I would get a pre built I don't know anything about building a computer or putting in a graphics card.

Rikisipi

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 04:18:33 AM »
        I am strongly thinking of buying this build.

http://www.msy.com.au/SYSTEMS/INTELAMD-Gaming2.pdf

Getting the i7 and windows 10 that comes to $1320. Is this getting my moneys worth, I think a SSD is important at the moment.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 06:05:59 AM »
        For a custom build to order it looks about right with the premium paid to have it to order. Parts used look ok. I didnt see anything that stood out as low quality thrown into the build, but not sure about the quality of the power supply that comes with the case. The SSD that comes with this build is not that large of capacity. The OS is probably on this drive and 2TB drive uses mainly for storage. If the OS is on this SSD it means that you will probably want to have your games installed to a drive letter other than C:, whichever drive letter the 2TB Hard Drive is. For smaller games, installation to a SSD wont consume much. I have a 120GB SSD in my one system with Windows 7 64-bit and I have had to uninstall some games to make room for others. With a HDD and games installed to a custom location though you might not have to shuffle games installed/uninstalled when installing them to the 2TB HDD.

Leoluke87

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 11:54:27 AM »
          http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-black-red/4494400.p?skuId=4494400 i really like this one it has good specs about 1200 but it is usuelly about 1500 but its on sale free 2 day shipping

Lorraine walsh

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 04:13:18 AM »
            I am strongly thinking of buying this build.

http://www.msy.com.au/SYSTEMS/INTELAMD-Gaming2.pdf

Getting the i7 and windows 10 that comes to $1320. Is this getting my moneys worth, I think a SSD is important at the moment.
            Seems like a good build with good specs. But I'd say a bit pricey for itself imo.

Tricolor

Starter

• Experience: Guru
            « Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 10:47:31 AM »
            You can easily build a rig that will play the listed games on high settings for $1k, but do not forget to factor in the cost of new peripherals. Definitely go with an i7, SSD, and a comparable graphics card.