Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My WD Elements external drive is blinking fast and freezes  (Read 2638 times)

redDCXIII

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    My WD Elements external drive is blinking fast and freezes
    « on: November 03, 2016, 01:57:20 PM »
    My Elements drive,  wdbaau0010hbk-01, is only detected by Device Manager and nothing else. The light on the actual drive is flashing consistently. When I open Disk Management, the app freezes and I can't use it. I've tried Data Lifeguard and it won't load with the drive plugged in, as well. When I 'disable' the the drive in Device Manager, or uninstall the 'USB Mass Storage Device', Device manager freezes with both of those. The drive is not making any unusual sounds, it sounds normal. I've also tried it in another pc and the same issue remained. Please help me. Thank you.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: My WD Elements external drive is blinking fast and freezes
    « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 06:38:18 AM »
    If the drive is covered by warranty and you dont mind losing data on it as well as whatever data is on it in others hands you can send it back for replacement.

In a last effort to get data and void warranty if there is one, you open the external drive and pull the drive from the case and connect it internally to a desktop computer as a secondary drive and see if you can get your data this way or repair the drive with direct drive access through SATA controller vs the USB to SATA. Sometimes the USB to SATA controllers die and the drive is fine.