Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows & scrolling problems  (Read 7364 times)

doulton

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows & scrolling problems
    « on: December 02, 2016, 09:53:49 PM »
    Hi All.   I use Windows 7 pro with IE 10.  Very often the scroll button on my mouse will not do anything. I have already tried different mice,all with the same affect  Any advice would be Welcomed   Thank You.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows & scrolling problems
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 06:13:54 AM »
    When pointer stops working do the right or left clicks still function to where its only a positioning issue with the mouse moment not happening?
    Also will the keyboard continue to function or is that unresponsive as well would would point out that the entire computer is freezing vs just the mouse?

System Checks to perform if the computer is also not responding to right or left clicks during this time are to see if the hard drive LED is lit with activity. Does the hard drive pass crystaldiskinfo to show that the hard drive is healthy? Does the system pass memtest86 to show the RAM is healthy after about 3 hours of it running without any errors? Is this computer clean of all malware and virus's? Have you tried using a corded mouse instead of cordless if the mouse is cordless to eliminate the possibility that its only an issue with cordless mice?

If this is a desktop computer with PS2 ports available... if it comes down to just mouse controls gone, I would find a PS2 mouse for the computer. Shut computer down and attach the PS2 mouse, boot system and see if the issue continues or if its fixed. If the problem is fixed by PS2 mouse then you know your dealing with USB mouse only problem.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Windows & scrolling problems
    « Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 09:26:38 AM »
    Hi All.   I use Windows 7 pro with IE 10.  Very often the scroll button on my mouse will not do anything. I have already tried different mice,all with the same affect 
    Hmm, I'm wondering why you would be using IE10 since IE11 was released for Windows 7 on 7 November 2013.  Can you cite specific examples of instances where you believe you should have scroll capability with your mouse but you do not have it?   Can you post a screenshot of such an instance? Do you see a scrollbar on those apps/windows where you are expecting scroll capability but find it unavailable?