Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Possible hard drive issues?  (Read 2292 times)

imbob

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Possible hard drive issues?
    « on: December 23, 2016, 12:13:53 PM »
    Hello everyone, recently my computer has been slowing down day by day, back when I installed this current version of win 10(64 bit, pro if i remember correctly) pc was loading in like 5 seconds, now (after like 6 months more of less,) it takes like a minute for it to fully load up all the programs ( not many of them..lightshot,radeon settings,realtek audio manager,avg pc tuneup, avg antivirus, and razer synapse) all of those were also on the computer when it took 5 seconds for it to load, so i guess those might not be the cause of the slow load?

Also, when i run overwatch and when it logs into it, if i join a game real quick, sometimes the heroes wont be loaded up, everything would be invinsible for like 30 seconds or so. Also, when i play path of exile, i tend to have extremely long loading times, when going to town, if theres a lot of people in it, loading takes about 3 minutes more or less? This is why i suspect the HDD is failing, or the computer is just crowded with alot of data.

Im downloading a new copy of windows 10 pro, thought of formatting the drives and reinstalling a fresh copy of windows, should i do that? Also thought of defragmenting if that might help, or run some kind of disk cleaner, if i do that, should i do it BEFORE i wipe all the data and install new windows, or after i do it?

I dont really have any files i need to backup, mostly using this computer for gaming.

The PC is around 2 years old, i guess thats not alot?

Also i just remembered, one time i had an issue loading up the windows so i did a defragmentation(which actually got stuck at some % and didnt finish) so i had to cut the power to shut down the computer, after i turned it back on, it was loading up fine. - this happened around a year ago

Any help is greatly appreciated, also i dont have any money to buy a new hdd for a few months, so i dont want to kill it completely if the hdd is the problem, i'd rather run it slow then not run at all >.<

Attached dxdiag

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Possible hard drive issues?
    « Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
    With Windows 10  there is no published information as to what the load time ought to be. Nor r is there any document that says load time as being a diagnostic clue.
    Well, very, very long boot times are a problem.
    This is an old link about windows 7:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/204421-very-slow-boot-up-20-mins.html
    Which gives a link to:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-is-extremely-slow-to-boot/0fc66916-690a-4901-bc47-adf77e8f3a6f

From my own experience, Windows 10 can take two minutes to do a full boot up. In rare cases it will go very slow because there is some kind of problem. The3 problem could be almost anything.

My best commendation is to have on hand another disk drive like the one you already have. It can be a 'clone' of the original drive. When something does not seem right, you can exchange the original with the clone and try again.
    This might explain what I am trying to say:
    http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/d/disk-clone.htm

There are free disk clone programs out there.
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-free-and-reliable-cloning-tools/

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 02:13:59 PM »
    None of those things need to load at startup except the sound ones...
    Also dump AVG and switch to another Free one...it's turned into a resource...
    #3...if you suspect the HDD DLoad and run the Free diags. from the HDD manuf. site...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JordanMihailov

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 02:58:31 AM »
      I would save my important info to another disk and check this with all possible programs. Hirens disk has a lot of good programs for that matter. Win 10 loads that startup programs always slower than win 7. I figured that on my personal computer right when i installed it. As others have said this slow thing can be caused from windows update or the antivirus program. Or any other program doing some maintenance things.