Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive partition  (Read 2687 times)

ibfoxy1

Topic Starter

Rookie

hard drive partition
    « on: December 29, 2016, 10:11:32 PM »
    Hello,
    I have a E Machine ET1831-05, It has a 500 GB HDD. The hard drive has 3 partitions on it.
    the C: is labeled E machine 431  GB free of 452
     D: is labeled HP Pavilion 1.72 MB free of 107 GB
    E: is labeled BS 4.42 GB free of 4.42
    I am assuming that C: is the restore, and D: is the operating system.  But the computer is telling me it is out of space , I just did a system restore, so there should not be anything extra on it.  How do I get it to use the free space on the other partions?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: hard drive partition
    « Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 07:00:25 AM »
    The system partition is ALWAYS C: drive. D: looks like the restore partition.

ibfoxy1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 05:23:51 PM »
      Okay, so why is the computer saying to free up space? if there is space on the drive?  And how do I do this?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 05:42:01 PM »
      Okay, so why is the computer saying to free up space?
      Windows checks all mounted drives and warns if they are low on disk space.

if there is space on the drive?
      But there isn't; there is space on C:, but D: drive is clearly low on space.

And how do I do this?

You don't. Windows suggestion to free up disk space on D: is stupid and pointless as freeing up any space means making it unusable.

Instead, you can change it so it does not have an assigned drive letter. This means it will be effectively invisible, including to the Disk space notification. Recovery Partitions are usually n ot much use once booted into Windows, and are usually used as part of the boot-up procedure.

You can remove the Drive Letter through Disk Management.

1. Start->Run (Or Windows Key+R) "Diskmgmt.msc"

2. In Disk Management, Find the Recovery Partition. Based on your earlier post it will be labelled "HP Pavilion" and will be assigned to drive D:

3. If you right-click this drive, there should be a "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." Option. Select it.

4. The dialog that appears should have a Remove button. Click it and confirm with the two prompts that appear, and the recovery partition will no longer be assigned a drive letter, so you will not receive warnings.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 06:40:46 AM »
      eMachine running with a drive out of a HP Pavilion... Looks like your system has a drive from a HP that was then installed into the eMachine. The hardware motherboard/CPU combination between the HP and the eMachine must have been very similar to not get stuck in the crash condition boot loop.

Is this computer running otherwise healthy or did you have to fix the boot loop crash and driver issues with moving a HP drive to eMachine?

Where did the HP Hard drive come from or did you run a HP System Recovery Disc on the eMachine and the eMachine thinks its a HP?