Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How I lost my Product Key. So did you.  (Read 4872 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
How I lost my Product Key. So did you.
« on: February 04, 2017, 08:42:43 PM »
Maybe you already know this. I lost my product key. Did you?
A few months ago somebody said Microsoft was getting out of the Product key business. It has taken until now for me to get it. No more product key.

Yeah, they give you something like that if you buy Widows 10 retail. But you use it once and that  is it. The second time it is not needed.

I actually bought a product key off eBay. Now I find that I either don't need it or it does not work. I can not use it to make a fresh install on a new PC if the PC does not have Windows 10. If I do a format of my HDD and install again, the Windows authentication service will know it is me. It has a record of my details.

Here is a link that makes it simple and clear.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/246040/software/how-to-find-your-windows-or-office-product-key.html

This means that you can not buy a junk PC and re-use the product key to make a new install. It won't work.
What if you motherboard burns up ?

How do you get Windows 10 to work on a replacement  motherboard?
http://windowsreport.com/windows-10-motherboard-replacement-activation/
Is that the right answer? 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: How I lost my Product Key. So did you.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 09:15:30 PM »
I can not use it to make a fresh install on a new PC if the PC does not have Windows 10.

Then it is not a Retail Windows 10 key. It is either a OEM key, or an upgrade key. I'd be inclined to think that your mistake was using eBay to buy a product key to begin with, just looking now and there are alleged "100% genuine" Windows 10 Pro Keys for 14 dollars. Fat chance!

At any rate, I have 4 Retail Windows 10 Pro keys (via MSDN) and I've had no issues reinstalling the systems from scratch or uninstalling entirely and then installing using that key on another system.

I doubt that keys generated via MSDN are treated differently than "normal" keys.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 04:24:53 AM »
[1] This means that you can not buy a junk PC and re-use the product key to make a new install. It won't work.
[2] What if you motherboard burns up ?
[3] How do you get Windows 10 to work on a replacement  motherboard?
http://windowsreport.com/windows-10-motherboard-replacement-activation/
Is that the right answer? 

[1] You never could do this with an OEM license.
[2] Your PC is dead. The hardware that the OEM license is tied to has joined the choir invisible.
[3]
Solution 1 – Install Windows 7 or Windows 8 again and upgrade to Windows 10
Solution 2 – Purchase the Windows 10 license key
Yes. see above.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 06:22:53 AM »
The whole business with people selling product keys from scrapped machines on eBay is extremely dodgy and almost certainly violates the EULA.  Given that Microsoft sets pricing, if someone is selling a product key for a large discount then there is certainly something dodgy going on.  There's no way that anyone in their right mind should be buying them and TBH eBay needs to get better at stopping these scammers.

As far as the product key thing being embedded in the UEFI goes - You have never been permitted to transfer OEM licences to a new machine so whether it's paper or embedded it doesn't matter.  The only real downside is if the board fails as the EULA does permit moving the key to replacement hardware to repair a fault.  That said, it's only PCs from big manufacturers that have the key embedded, if you build it yourself with a purchased OEM licence then you'll still have a key you can use on the replacement hardware.  If it's from a manufacturer and still covered by warranty then they will deal with it (When I've had it with Dell, the replacement board won't have a key in the UEFI and instead they will give you a "replacement product key" on a sticker).  I suppose the only concern would be in the event of a motherboard failing out of warranty - Not sure what you can do in that case (although you could have potentially thought in advance and extracted the key from the firmware (yes, you can do that, there is still a key, it's just not on a sticker any more).  Alternatively if you are buying replacement boards for an OEM machine, chances are you'll be looking at used ones which probably already have a key embedded.  Of course, I don't actually know how the EULA holds in these cases.

I don't really have a problem with the embedded product key thing, sure it would be nice to get a paper copy as well but in the end, I've seen way more people "lose" their product keys due to stickers getting removed or worn off rather than motherboard failures.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 08:13:30 AM »
My guess those keys are from a Asian merchant who can dodge prison for $14.

A friend of mine years ago bought 2 copies of Windows XP Pro still sealed with booklet for $75 each off ebay thinking he saved $130 combined at $65 saved per OEM OS, pretty much getting 2 copies of XP Pro for the price of one. He installed XP on both systems and entered the key and oddly the system never required going out to Microsoft to authenticate, it was as if the key was instantly activated. Because systems worked fine he used them for about a year and a half. Then one day the Genuine Advantage Tool came down through a Microsoft update and it stated that the Windows XP Pro installations are not genuine and it gave a ability to click on a link to buy an authentic key. He contacted me to check into this. He thought it was a glitch. I checked into this taking one of his systems and when doing a reinstallation of XP Pro, sure enough it skipped the authentication step with Microsoft. I then dug into how XP was authenticating and there was a bundled script on the installation that would satisfy the key activation it was a boot legged XP Pro disc with a key crack built into it. Looking at the manual and Disc, they looked authentic at first glance, but when looking closer the manual/booklet was not as sharp of print and the hologram on the XP disc when you tilt the disc the hologram was missing. They were able to print to the top of the CD to make it look like the real thing, but the hologram appearance was counterfeit. It wasnt a hologram at all it was just printed so it would look like the real disc, but looking at it quick you wouldnt think to tilt the disc to see if its a real hologram or not.

He ended up having to junk both discs an it ended up working out that he bought a 3 license Windows 7 Home Premium from newegg which was REAL and so both systems got upgraded to Windows 7 and the counterfeit XP OS discs junked.

Surprisingly the installation was clean for XP, there was no hidden malware, and XP was complete. It didnt appear to be a evaluation version hacked for long term use.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 07:29:30 PM »
Thank you all for responding.
For sure, I am not going to use a fake key. That thing I got on eBay is, apparently, a fake. I should have known better.

Next time I want windows 10, I will buy a system with Windows 10 included.  Anybody who buys a new system, either assembled or in parts, should get the OS bundled with the system.  Unless money does not matter.

What I  mean is that the retail price is Windows is much higher than  what  the OEM has to pay out. And you can buy a clean refurnished unit without monitor for about the retail price of Windows 10. Of course, that OEM version  is not transferable.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 05:49:07 AM »
If there was a need for 10 and it was going to be a system that wasnt a gaming rig for newer games, there are used computer businesses out there that get the keys on discount through Microsoft to refurb older computers and issue it a key at far lesser cost than that of a person buying 1 key through Microsoft. this is how you will see Core 2 Duo computers that are sold as refurbs for $89.99 which may have originally been issued Vista or XP when manufactured available with newer OS's. But I wouldnt buy these refurbs on ebay, I'd buy them through Newegg or Tiger Direct or some known and guaranteed to be legal build. They also come with a warranty sometimes a 1 year warranty for a refurb.

I bought 40 HP Business Class SFF computers through Tiger Direct for example back in 2007 at $99.99 each that came with Windows XP Pro and XP Pro was $139.99 back then. So it was an easy sell to my employer that we could get XP Pro on discount + upgrade people away from Pentium 1, 2, and 3 computers and some weak Celerons over to Pentium 4 HT 2.8Ghz computers with XP Pro and away from NT4 and Windows 2000 Pro for free hardware upgrade at that price.

Here is an example here at $70 .... https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883795145&cm_re=refurb_computer-_-83-795-145-_-Product
Dual-Core 2.7Ghz ( Might be an E5400 ) and Windows 10 on a workstation for about $70... and this computer never came originally with 10, it was given one of the keys that a refurb house buys from microsoft cheaply.