Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Smart Device - Potential Privacy Problem  (Read 5485 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Smart Device - Potential Privacy Problem
« on: February 06, 2017, 09:17:16 AM »
IT at work passed this article globally through e-mail system today. Found it rather interesting and figured I'd share it here:

http://ktla.com/2017/02/03/connected-smart-devices-are-listening-all-the-time/

I found this the funniest:

Voice control is already a culprit in unwanted Amazon orders

Never thought of a smart device acting like a genie that grants your wishes but hits your credit card and stuff all of a sudden shows up.... A discussion of what to have for dinner with family or speaking openly like "Boy I could really go for a Pizza right now", or I want the latest iPhone and poof the genie grants it in the mail a few days later unexpectedly. It would be funny to come home from work and have a wall of boxes blocking entry to my home from Amazon, seeing that smile on every box right in view adding to how funny it would be.

I dont own any devices with voice command enabled. My phone can do voice commands, but I dont have that app active. One of my friends has a device that is always listening for voice commands and every once in a while it gets a false positive and it will keep saying I DID NOT UNDERSTAND YOUR COMMAND PLEASE REPEAT... he then has to lower the TV Volume and Yell out TEMPERATURE and it will say IT IS 68 DEGREES in a womans artificial voice and is satisfied and then is scanning again for commands within the background noise of TV and chatting etc. I find that annoying when at his house and the frequency that he has to give it a valid command to shut it up because otherwise it will just keep saying SORRY I DID NOT UNDERSTAND and if you say SHUT UP it doesnt recognize that to be quiet.

Just realized... Im going to save my empty Amazon Boxes and save them for 4/1. And do a prank on my wife. A wall of Amazon boxes at front door for April fools when she gets home from work and put a can of soup or other stuff in them so they arent empty but seem legit. Gonna ask friends for their empty boxes too. Can show her this article and say we have a device that is placing orders based on voice in our home...  ;D

Additionally I liked this link here which shares how to clean out saved voice:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201602040

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Smart Device - Potential Privacy Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 09:51:43 AM »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 10:16:15 AM »
Awesome !  ;D

jenno

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 02:26:05 AM »
    Haha you'd think after 'dollhouse-gate' they'd think twice about this kind of thing. Either that or they're trying to annoy people!

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
    « Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 07:06:47 AM »
    Haha you'd think after 'dollhouse-gate' they'd think twice about this kind of thing. Either that or they're trying to annoy people!

Funny that there was more to dollhouse story... people watching the news about little girls story, that had this device also got dollhouse and 4 pounds of cookies ordered who had this device, which was ready to act like a genie but with endless wishes without a code required to authenticate transaction.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/7/14200210/amazon-alexa-tech-news-anchor-order-dollhouse

;D ::)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 07:09:45 AM »
    An MIT student has 2 of those devices arguing with each other....
    Think it's been over 2 1/2 weeks last i checked...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "