Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: UEFI VS LEGACY?  (Read 3564 times)

Amats

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    UEFI VS LEGACY?
    « on: February 08, 2017, 11:59:15 PM »
    I inquired on another forum about what graphics card would work best on my Optiplex 360 and he mentioned to make sure I didn't have a
     UEFI - Legacy conflict between the bios and the graphics card I want to put in.

https://www.amazon.com/ViewMax-NVIDIA-GeForce-Express-Support/dp/B00WNO327Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486619989&sr=8-2&keywords=gtx+750+ti+1gb

Can someone explain this to me?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: UEFI VS LEGACY?
    « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 01:04:13 AM »
    Somebody told you a new graphics card might not work on an old computer due to a conflict with the legacy BIOS?
    Never heard of that. Has anybody?
    A more likely  issues is if the old machine has the one  PCIe slot for a modern graphics card.

Well, it does. But look here:
    The problem is that the PCI-E slot on the 360 Motherboard is very close to the CPU fan enclosure whereas most of the graphics cards I've looked at are double width and as such, are too wide to fit.
    That was found on another forum. Look at your machine and see if the card will bump into the CPU fan.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 04:26:56 AM »
    A UEFI BIOS can make use of a feature called "GOP" to present a GUI as part of the setup program. This doesn't require specific Video card support though.

The only aspect relevant here is that support is needed from the Video Card in order to enable OS Fast boot in Operating Systems like Windows 8.

Going the other direction, there is no issue. A Newer graphics card in an older system should not face difficulties due to any "UEFI/Legacy" issue.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Amats

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 09:53:36 PM »
      Somebody told you a new graphics card might not work on an old computer due to a conflict with the legacy BIOS?
      Never heard of that. Has anybody?
      A more likely  issues is if the old machine has the one  PCIe slot for a modern graphics card.

Well, it does. But look here:That was found on another forum. Look at your machine and see if the card will bump into the CPU fan.

I have the Mini Tower so it's wide open space for all the addon cards.
      I do have a question about my pci card slots.  The pcie 16 slot is on top, the next slot is a long pci slot, the next is a shorter (by about an inch) pci slot but the tech guide just calls them pci slots.  Why is one longer?
      Thx  ;D
      « Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:07:18 PM by Amats »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 10:47:38 AM »
      I don't know. Hard to understand. Looks like a deliberate effort to confuse ordinary people.
      I did a Google for PCI images and found lots of stuff.

You try it.Go to Google and search:
      images of PCI slots

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 11:14:30 AM »
      I have the Mini Tower so it's wide open space for all the addon cards.
      Watch out, that machine has a BTX form factor rather than the more conventional ATX one.  This means that the motherboard is "flipped."  You will be unable to install a dual slot video card in that machine as the slot that has the cooler behind it will be "above" the top slot on the rear of the case.  You also have to be very careful with single slot cards with large heatsinks as there is a capacitor directly above the PCI-E slot that will get in the way of some heatsinks.

Amats

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 09:20:20 PM »
        Watch out, that machine has a BTX form factor rather than the more conventional ATX one. 

Would that mean that an ATX psu would not be compatible with this system?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 11:22:09 PM »
        ATX and BTX motherboards are built slightly differently, with the slots positioned in different areas, and the distance between the motherboard and the PC chassis increased in the BTX. In terms of layout, the BTX motherboard mirrors the ATX motherboard
        https://www.reference.com/technology/differences-between-atx-btx-motherboards-875164ef9d173dad
        The acronym BTX stands for Balanced Technology Extended, and includes various important enhancements to cases and hardware components among its specifications. The primary drivers behind the development of BTX include more efficient PC cooling (or better cooling performance, if you like) but also quietest possible operation.
        Also:
        http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/atx-btx-cases,1187-19.html
        Among other things, this has the intentional effect of putting PCI Express graphics cards in the path of the CPU fan's air stream.
        The difference is significant.
        Does that help?  :)

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 03:55:57 AM »
        The power supply connections would be the same so an ATX PSU would connect fine, the issue is with the way the slots on the board are positioned when it comes to fitting large video cards.

Amats

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 05:26:01 PM »
          OK, yeah the 2 important things I was hoping for were same pinout and mounting in the case
          Thx  ;)

Amats

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 07:05:07 PM »
            I had an almost new Antec 630w not being used and it fits perfectly.  I needed 450w for the video card so it shouldn't have to work too hard.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 09:50:38 PM »
            I am confused. Do you want more power or less power?
            What do yu mean
            ... so it shouldn't have to work too hard.
            A goof brand  name power supply will deliver all the power it can and network too
            hard. The limitation is mostly thermal, not electrical. It the power supply does not over heat, it does not work too hard.
            If there is any problem r with heat, you can ad another fan to your system to improve airflow. You might think about an upgrade to  the fans, not the PSU.
            See here:
            https://www.lifewire.com/ways-to-keep-your-computer-cool-2624713
            A case fan is just a small fan that attaches to either the front or the back of a desktop computer case, from the inside.
            Case fans help move air through a computer which, if you recall from the first several tips above, is the best way to ensure that those expensive parts don't get too hot.
            Installing two case fans, one to move cool air into the PC and another to move warm air out of the PC, is a great way to keep a computer cool.
            I hope that is of some help. :)

Amats

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              « Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 10:10:55 PM »
              I only needed a psu with 450w but I had this 630w sitting around so I used it so it will be working at 30% below what it's rated at so there shouldn't be any problem with heat. ;D