Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: The AMD Ryzen 7 comes on March 2.  (Read 5621 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
The AMD Ryzen 7 comes on March 2.
« on: February 22, 2017, 04:36:28 PM »
AMD says the new better, cheaper CPU will be for sale 2 March. At  low-end the Ryzen 7 will go for $329 and will compete with Intel i7.
Yet there’s reason to be cynical. AMD released its Phenom processor line in 2007 with a value argument that’s not dissimilar to what we’re hearing with Ryzen; more cores, better pricing. Unfortunately, Phenom suffered lackluster per-core performance and a widely-publicized hardware bug — issues that let Intel sweep it aside.
Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-ryzen-r7-first-take/#ixzz4ZSYOYf7q

But will Intel do anything?  (| 

Forbes: Will Intel be worried.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:47:23 PM by Geek-9pm »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: The AMD Ryzen 7 comes on March 2.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 04:51:45 PM »
Ryzen actually looks pretty spectacular. Even the lowest end Ryzen is competitive with Intel's Highest-end i7; not only does it have twice as many cores, but it still seems to out-perform it in single-threaded workloads- despite the cynicism.

Based on what I've seen, Intel will have to respond. When your competitor's low-end product is shown to outperform your highest-end released product- and even their highest end product is cheaper, that's requires a response. Here's hoping this time they compete by making better processors, not crippling their Compilers to run like garbage on all AMD chips.

It seems that AMD may be poised to have a complete takeover of the "Gaming" market, which has been dominated by Intel since the release of their original Core-series processors.

The only thing now is to wait and see if independent benchmarks are able to reproduce the exemplary performance characteristics that AMD showed off.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 05:17:41 PM »
I just now posted the Feb.  story about Intel in Arizona.
If, big if, the new plant can do more stuff on a wafer, there can be some price wars.
Hard to say.
Here is an alternative link tote Arizona story:
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?board=17.0

...  which was completed at the end of 2013 but never opened, was supposed to be the manufacturing plant for the 14-nanometer chips. It has remained empty until the company decided what to do next.
Is 14-nanometer tiny?
Correction. The new fab will do 7-nanometer.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 05:30:41 PM »
With the lack of humidity out there iNtel is being very smart indeed....

Keep all that hard hitting news coming Geek.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 08:38:19 PM »
Intel makes money. But don't imagine most of it it is from making the i3, i5 and   i7  chips for personal computers. Some of he stuff they are doing is light sci-fi back to the future kind of stuff. Imagine a mainframe that listens to all of the phone calls in a big city and finds the bad guys for the FBI.
Sorry,  this is off topic.   :-[

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 11:59:04 PM »
Intel makes money. But don't imagine most of it it is from making the i3, i5 and   i7  chips for personal computers.

They make a significant amount of their income through their Client Computing Group, which "Includes platforms designed for notebooks (including Ultrabook™ devices), 2 in 1 systems, desktops (including all-in- ones and high-end enthusiast PCs), tablets, phones, wireless and wired connectivity products, and mobile communication components.".

This can be seen in their publically available consolidated income statement.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 09:44:52 AM »
Thanks for the link and the clarification.
    Client Computing Group revenue of $32.9 billion, up 2 percent from 2015
    Data Center Group revenue of $17.2 billion, up 8 percent from 2015
    Internet of Things Group revenue of $2.6 billion, up 15 percent from 2015
    Non-Volatile Memory Solution Group revenue of $2.6 billion, down 1 percent from 2015
    Intel Security Group revenue of $2.2 billion, up 9 percent from 2015
    Programmable Solutions Group revenue of $1.7 billion
So this would mean over half of the gross was from the Client Computing Group.
However, that is from the GAAP. Intel makes as much revenue from non-GAAP. So the client group is not the most of overall revenue.
Or put another way. Intel makes about a third or less of is revenue from client computer stuff.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 09:54:29 AM »
Ryzen definitely does look very impressive, I'll wait it out until they become generally available to be sure that the stats are real (Somewhat fell for the stuff before they launched Bulldozer) but if it's as good as they are claiming I'd definitely consider getting a Ryzen board+CPU, my current machine could do with a bit of an upgrade.

Also impressed by the selection of boards available, previously you could only get decent AMD boards in the ATX form factor, mATX or ITX were pretty rubbish feature/chipset wise.  There's now a good selection of mATX/ITX boards with decent features.  The boards are also impressively cheap, especially if you compare them to LGA 2011 boards which you would need for an 8-core Intel chip.