Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is "NTLDR is missing" cause from virus ?  (Read 1524 times)

Jun

Is "NTLDR is missing" cause from virus ?
« on: December 06, 2006, 12:49:47 AM »
I already read NTLDR is missing at this site and this site not told me it can cause from virus.
But recent few weeks ago I found many of my clients have this problem and all of them are the member of antivirus server and then I decied to close this antivirus server.

Very Surprise!!! I didnt found it again til this time but I dont sure there was a virus that can make this problem?  If someone know about that pls. call me

GX1_Man

• Mastermind

• Because beige is beautiful !!!
    Please post as much information about your computer, operating system, and problem as possible, what happened prior to problems, etc. Too much info is OK, too little is pointless! Don't just say "My computer doesn't work. What's wrong?"

phoenix910

Hopeful

Re: Is "NTLDR is missing" cause from virus ?
      « Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 09:00:45 PM »
      Even if this is from a virus, you can fix this by doing a repair installation of Windows, or if you are in a network with a server using a server image, you can re-image the machine. Then I would suggest a better anti-virus program if this was from a virus. I have had this problem before without a virus though.

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
        « Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 09:27:53 PM »
        Before you try reinstalling Windows, check the connections on your hard drive. Just the other day, my younger sister complained about an error: "operating system not found". On an E-Machine, things breaking is nothing new. However, I also knew that there were several occasions where the IDE cables had come loose. Tightening them fixed the problem. (Sub-standard IDE cables -- remind me to chalk that up as another reason to hate the E-Machine.)

Even if they don't look loose, tighten the connections between the hard drive and the motherboard. If there is still a problem, then no harm is done and you can proceed with the above instructions made by pheonix910.
        « Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 09:28:33 PM by Timothy_Bennett »
        "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 09:49:44 PM »
          It's a problem with NTLDR, a specific component of windows, rather than the entire operating system. If it was a lose IDE cable, I doubt that it would come up with only one specific component, but still doesn't hurt to check. Something I found to do before you reinstall windows using the recovery console, found on the boot CD:
          Once you are in the recovery console, type map, and then press ENTER. Note the drive letter that is assigned to the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM. Type the following commands, pressing ENTER after you type each one:
          copy c:\i386\ntldr c:\

copy c:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
          If you are prompted to overwrite the file, type y, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: In these commands, there is a space between the ntldr and c:\, and between ntdetect.com and c:\.  
          Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

type c:\Boot.ini

A list similar to the following list appears:
          [boot loader]
          timeout=30
          default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]
          multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

If you receive the following message, the Boot.ini file may be missing or damaged:
          The system cannot find the file or directory specified.

If this is the case, you will have to create a new Boot.ini, which I will let you know how to do if you need to. Hope this helps (this is supposed to and does for many people, but I haven't tried it personally yet).

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
            « Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 10:23:03 PM »
            Oops, mis-read the error. ;)
            "The geek shall inherit the Earth."