Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost all OUTLOOK files after a system restore FIXED!  (Read 10174 times)

shadav

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Lost all OUTLOOK files after a system restore FIXED!
    « on: January 26, 2009, 09:26:33 AM »
    Like the title says. I did a system restore and all of my old emails and contacts are gone.

I am not computer savvy and think I made a mistake somewhere.

When it did the system restore I made a new "profile" so when I go into my "c" drive, "documents and settings"  there are two administrator accounts;

hp_administrator and;
    hp_administratorDAVISCOMPUTER (new one)

My computer automatically loads me into the NEW one I created. I tried to log off then log back into the old account but it isn't an option.

When I started my internet I had also lost all of my favorites. I found the favorites in the old "hp_administrator" file and transfered them over so I have those back.

However I can not find my old outlook emails and contacts. where can I find these or what do i have to do?

I also had to contact my internet provider to set up the outlook account again. It is for the same email address but I may have added a  different "contact name" or something if that will make any difference

This is very frustrating.

BTW I did a system restore becasue my media center kept crashing and I thought that would fix it--- IT DIDN'T but I will try to fix that uissue later.

Thanks
    Shawn
    « Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 06:10:08 PM by shadav »

shadav

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Lost all outlook files after a system restore
      « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
      So I take it I am pooched  ???

right?

Dias de verano

Re: Lost all OUTLOOK files after a system restore
      « Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 01:05:24 PM »
      When you do a system restore, it puts your system back to the way it was when the system was last saved. If that last restore point was before your email contacts were added, then they're gone.

shadav

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 01:18:32 PM »
        But why are all my favorites etc saved?

My whole email account was wiped out. The fact that my favorites were saved makes me think the emails are too, I just don't know where to look to find them.

Shawn

m_260

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 03:32:42 PM »
        wondering if you could undo the system restore? system restore didn't help your crashing and you can't find your email files.

shadav

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 04:07:23 PM »
          The problem is I had to sreat a new account

hp_administratorDAVISCOMPUTER

my old one was hp_administrator

When I look in my current outlook "maintenance" to where my files are held they are in

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator.DAVISCOMPUTER\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{D7262387-AED1-4256-8BFF-22265B0B5C06}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Problem is I know my "old" ones are in a folder without the DAVISCOMPUTER part. But I can't find them.

There are 5 "users" in my "documents and settings" I just want to find the ones in my old file aaarrrrgggg!!

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 05:38:26 PM »
          They will be somewhere here:

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator.\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{D7262387-AED1-4256-8BFF-22265B0B5C06}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

shadav

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 06:09:49 PM »
            FIXED

I went into "C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{D7262387-AED1-4256-8BFF-22265B0B5C06}\Microsoft\Outlook Express"

and they were there.

I cut and pasted to the "new" account. Only problem is that I replaced the new folders with the old ones therefore I lost the 10 or so emails that were new

No big deal at least I got back my important ones.

'

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            Re: Lost all OUTLOOK files after a system restore FIXED!
            « Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 06:22:16 PM »
            Nice.
            Good News.
            I believe you can use the Import feature next time so you don't lose existing data...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "