Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP!! --Files disappear from network drive....SOLVED  (Read 40324 times)

voxp

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

HELP!! --Files disappear from network drive....SOLVED
    « on: March 05, 2009, 08:54:19 PM »
    Hello Everyone,
    Hopefully someone can shine some light on my problem. I have PC with XP SP3, two internal hard drives and one network drive (backups). Yesterday I decided to move a tone of software from my internal hard drives onto the network drive for storage. I created a folder in the network drive, and subfolders with no problem.

(most files are zip/exe) I had about 4-5 subfolders under the main folder and all of the sudden the contents of the this particular folder has disappeared, vanished, gone!! It's acting like a BLACK HOLE!! My problem is that I 'MOVED' all of my files onto the network hard drive and I have no other means to gain access to these files.
    Under the folder's properties, it states that it is empty and has no files/folders. I've moved files before just in exactly the same manner and never had a problem.

What really bugs me (and gives me hope of recovery) is that when I try to move/copy files over and if I already moved/copied that same file into the folder, it will ask me if I want to REPLACE THE FILE???? But if u look at the folder, its EMPTY! When u first move the file it shows up in the folder, but as soon as you do a REFRESH of the folder the items disappear!!
    If I try again to copy the exact last file I dumped into this same folder, it will ask me the file already exist! You just can not see anything!!! I have no clue as to what may be going on, i've tried changing the folders setting to show hidden files, system file, the views, etc....no luck!

Does anybody have any idea what may be happening to my files??? If I try to delete the folder the system tells me the directory is not empty!! Like hello??? If I make a copy of the folder and move it, nothing shows. I am out of ideas and need some HELP PLEASE. I've already tried looking through 'cmd' and nothing shows up.
    Files are simply disappearing and I have no ideas why!!

thanks in advance and open to any suggestions
    « Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 09:18:22 PM by voxp »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

voxp

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: HELP!! ------ Files disappear from network drive....
      « Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 01:37:01 PM »
      Hey, thanks for the reply. However, that did not help me  :'(

Anyone has other suggestions??

Thanks

c#4p0

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 02:32:34 PM »
        It could be simple such as the drive you are uploading to may be failing? Ever consider this thought? I would look into it.

Also maybe certain permissions are set or the files or folder being uploaded have been marked as hidden.

Just some thoughts.
        You think you are watching them, when in reality they are watching you. . .

Dias de verano

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 01:29:08 AM »
        voxp, this "network drive" that you speak of, is it a NAS type drive? Or is it inside a server?

Reno

Hopeful
          « Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 01:36:09 AM »
          looks like the file(s) or folder(s) is hidden.
          setting:
          local computer -> view hidden file: yes
          network comp/drive -> view hidden file:no

you wont see the file even though you enable view hidden in folder options:

try this script:
          Code: [Select]
          pushd \\computername\sharename
          explorer .

voxp

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 12:51:28 PM »
            Reno,
            do I run the script in cmd window?

Also, just to clarify. My network drive is connected via USB to my airport base station and thus I can access wirelessly. I have other files and folders on the drive that I can see and manipulate no problem. My problem is only with this particular folder and no matter what I dump into the folder, they disappear after I refresh the folder. But, when I try to add the file again into the folder, it tells me the file already exist and if I want to replace it? YOU CAN NOT SEE ANYTHING IN THE FOLDER.

Reno

Hopeful
              « Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 11:44:23 PM »
              i face this problem once, but in my case is the other end is a PC with setting "view hidden file:no", and the file uploaded is hidden or system file.
              the NT dos cmd is just a shortcut to map network drive to z:\

in your case, any file dumped into that particular folder is missing. have you try to plug the usb drive directly to your PC?

voxp

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: HELP!! ------ Files disappear from network drive....FIXED (sort of)
                « Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 09:17:59 PM »
                Well here is what I got....the problem is sort of fixed. I plugged the usb drive directly into the PC (by-passing the router) and I could see the files in the folder (woooo)!! I made an immediate copy of the folder to another location on my PC. I re-connected the drive back to the router and I have the same problem. Folder is there, but no files! I am not sure what the problem is and I can not change any security settings on that particular folder. I am puzzled....but at least I got my files back.

I just created a NEW folder in the root directory and added files/folders with no issues. For some reason, this particular bunch of files decided to play hide-and-seek with me! I am still interested in finding the solution, but for now am happy with what I got.

Thanks everyone!

moleri67

• Experience: Familiar
                  Re: HELP!! --Files disappear from network drive....SOLVED
                  « Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 10:44:22 PM »

ii'm having the same problem with my external storage connected to an airport extreme. i ran through all the suggestions i could find online. tweaked the registry, even got me a registry cleaner per suggestion from one of the posts somewhere, nothing worked. when you saw that your files are back when you hooked your external drive straight to your computer, your problem is not solved. you're just happy that you did not lose your files. what i'm looking at now is the integrity of my airport extreme, i don't know, but there must be a solution to the problem.

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
                  Re: HELP!! --Files disappear from network drive....SOLVED
                  « Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 07:20:05 AM »
                  i ran through all the suggestions i could find online. tweaked the registry, even got me a registry cleaner per suggestion from one of the posts somewhere, nothing worked.

Registry cleaners are not recommended. In the slightest.

(Nice 4 year thread revival, btw)
                  11 cheers for binary !