Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: flash drive ram  (Read 7238 times)

Dias de verano

Re: flash drive ram
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 12:02:12 PM »
My idea.
Yes Flash drive is RAM ... if you agree with me window page file (swap partition in Linux) is RAM.

You want to put page file/swap file on a flash drive? That would kill the flash drive quickly.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 12:04:21 PM »
    You want to put page file/swap file on a flash drive? That would kill the flash drive quickly.

That's why let people use my extra blank DVD's for partition transfer.
    If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

tonlo

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 12:20:51 PM »
      I personally don't suggest steven32collins to do that. I just answer "is there a way" question.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert

Dias de verano

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 01:24:06 PM »
      Dias de verano
      http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/readyboost.aspx
      This was covered a couple of pages back.
      Sorry, my bad.
      Yes, you said that as the first response to the original post.
      Still -  ???
      Way would Microsoft allow or document a feature that would cause harm to the Flash device? IMO that is just typical of Microsoft. But it does make we wonder.

dr_iton

Intermediate
      • Reading jeopardizes stupidity?
        • PERSONAL WEB SITE
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 01:47:34 PM »
      I think he can make a part of HD work like RAM.
      I see that topic starter uses the Windows XP, so he can configure the VIRTUAL MEMORY.

P.S. It will work a little bit faster and as you know the data access speed of HD is not such as RAM

Cheers.

A MARATHON BEGIN'S WITH A FIRST STEP.

Dias de verano

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 01:55:11 PM »
      would Microsoft allow or document a feature that would cause harm to the Flash device?

No. Some people have the incorrect and mistaken idea that Readyboost works by storing the swap file on the flash drive. This is not so. Readyboost does not exercise a flash drive in the same way that using it as a swap partition would.

Flash memory can only take so many writes. Even with techniques such as wear levelling, swap file use will destroy a flash drive in a fairly short time.

The core idea of ReadyBoost is that a flash drive has a much faster seek time (less than 1 millisecond), allowing it to satisfy requests faster than a hard disk when booting or reading certain system files. (System files, right? That don't change - write once, read many times) By the way, unless you have USB 2.0 and you are using a top end pen drive or memory card ReadyBoost won't make a lot of difference. And even then it won't be anything to write home about.

A swap file on the other hand is constantly changing as memory is paged in and out. Furthermore, Windows uses the page file in blocks of 4096 bytes but flash memory usually has logical blocks of 65536 Bytes and whenever a 4K block is written the flash device has to erase and rewrite a whole 64K block. So pretty soon all the memory cells on the flash drive will be worn out.