I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong spot, if so let me know and I'll move it.
I have a Toshiba Satellite L305-S5955, Intel Celeron processor 900 (2.2 GHz), 160 GB HDD (If I forgot any other vital stat let me know, thats all I could find but if you need more I can search my computer for it).
I'm going to start from the beginning...
My computer was just fine then one day I turned it on and it set up normally but a few minutes of being on it froze, the mouse was able to move but I could click on anything, close anything, or even perform Ctrl-Alt Delete. I manually restarted it and this is the order in which things came up:
1. After restarting the laptop, it came to the "Windows did not shut down successfully"window, where it asks you if you want to restart it in safe mode or in normal mode, I chose normal mode.
2. After that it came to a screen which I've never seen before, "One of the disks needs to be check for consistency" I let it run through. It then starts up normally. It kept freezing after 2 or 3 minutes. So I would have to start the laptop all over again.
3. By this time I was really frustrated because I have restarted my computer a least half a dozen times, I quickly ran CCleaner and Avast Antivirus before it froze up (which was around 10-15 minutes it didn't freeze, which I thought was weird but it seemed to let those two programs run without freezing). Both programs came up clean, a few minutes later the laptop froze up again.
4. Using the boyfriends desktop I searched keywords for my problem, I didn't find a lot but a few people in other computer forums suggested that this problem could be fixed with new RAM. So we grabbed a tiny screwdriver and tested the RAM. (I have 2 1GB sticks) We removed one stick, closed the cover and restarted the computer, it still froze. We redid the process with the other stick as well. We have also contemplated that both of my RAM sticks are faulty and that I may need to buy new ones (do you guys agree?)
5. We tried to do a system restore from a previous period but there were only two recent periods, both of which happened to be after this problem started. So we got decided to wiped the hard drive and start off from factory settings (another post I saw was that an update or recently downloaded program may be the problem) it wiped the hard drive and then the next day when I restarted it, it went through all of the set up but about an hour later it kept freezing on the download of winzip (which Toshiba wanted to download with its whole package).
I have only had this computer for 3 months or so, but we didn't get a warranty on it (they can be such a rip-off but I wish we would have gotten it). I'd rather fix it ourselves but if we can't fix it (or you guys can help up figure out this problem) we can always take it to Laptop Exchange (whom I hate) to fix it.
If you need anymore information, put it in your reply and I will add it.